ISPCopy Questions

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by muekno, Dec 8, 2018.

1. muekno

muekno Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

The new (target) server must have a unique IP address, will the tool move the IP Address too or have I to do it manualy, I mean I like to have the old (source) IP address on the target
    Same what about the server names, while copying the have to be different, but I like have the new (target) server the same name. Otherwise I have to modify the DNS and some other references like mail relay address and so on?
    The readme does not say much about that, but I like to be shure before I start, eve I will do it on a tests system first.

Thanks
    Rainer

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you can use the same server-name and use the copy-tool with the ipv4 instead of the hostname (for ipv6 better add a fake-name to etc/hosts instead of using the ipv6 o_O )
    the tool does not copy the whole server (at least /etc/mailname is missing) and the tool will ask if the ip should be updated.
    if you use different password the mysql-root, do not forget to update server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf on the target.

3. muekno

I think you should recomend to use the correct servername as mailname seam not to be the only one whats not copied, i.e. /etc/hosts, the you must still change the P Address but it is easyer then to change the name too. I would think you should note that in the readme.

till likes this.
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The tool copies all the config files over that are maintained by iSPConfig. The /etc/hosts and /etc/mailname are not mainteined (written/edited) by ISPConfig or the ISPConfig installer, that's why they are not copied by ISPCopy. But I agree that we should add some more notes on what to consider and I've planned to write a tutorial on how to use ISPCopy anyway.

5. florian030

you should also add a note, that the copy-tool did not change mysql-root on the target. either install mysql on source and master with the same password or update mysql_clientdb.conf after each run. maybe you can update this file on the master with the values for remote_mysql_root_user and remote_mysql_root_password from autoconf.ini?

6. muekno

That's right, it may quite some work to create all the root users om a bigger system, on my productive system I have seven servers. The sipcsrvx seams to be recreated with the recomented update.
    as log the master is not touched there seam to no problem but if

regards
    rainer

7. florian030

you can copy the master, too. and don't forget to run resync after the copy.

8. muekno

Hint ISPConfig knows the slave names and IP adresses, so ist should be easy to select the root entry in the master mysql.user table and copy them to the new master.
    Rainer