Issue with DocumentRoot between sites

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by timkant, Aug 8, 2014.

1. timkant

timkant New Member

Hi There,

I struggling with a problem in ISPConfig.

I have one website (site01.nl) installed, with has the document root

Code:
    /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web
    I've added a second website (site02.nl) that needs to use the DocumentRoot from site01.nl, so I've added the following line of code to the Apache Directives of site02.nl

HTML:
    DocumentRoot /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web
    But when I visit site02.nl, I get an 403 error thrown by ISPConfig.

Does anybody have an idea what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This wont work as ispconfig runs each site under a different Linux user, so one site can not access the docroot of another site.

If bth sites shall have the same docroot, then you will normally add the secodn domain as alias domain of the first one in ispconfig. This configures both domains to use the same docroot as e.g. required by multidomain cms systems.

3. timkant

timkant New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've already tried that, but I noticed that I can't install an SSL certificate through ISPConfig for site02 when I add that domain as an domain alias.

4. till

Yes, thats right, as both sites use the same vhost. In this case you have to use a multidomain ssl cert whcih contaisn both domains.

Or you have to open up the security settings of the sites manually by changing folder permissions and then run boths ites with mod_php. But thats not really secure and I wont do this on a server that hosts multiple clients.

5. timkant

timkant New Member

But then how can I create a CSR for both site01.nl and site02.nl? De SSL tab only lets me create a CSR for site01.nl, not for domain alias site02.nl.

6. till

A csr is always for one domain only, the additional domains get added at the ssl authority. So you create a normal csr in site1, go with this csr to a authority and choose that you need a multidomain ssl cert, during order process the ssl authority will aks you then for a list of domain names that shall be included in the ssl cert.

7. timkant

timkant New Member

It worked, thanks a lot for your help!