"It works!" and Ubuntu 9.10

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by demortes, Nov 10, 2009.

1. demortes

demortes Member

Greetings,

I have an issue I ran into before, but can't find the old posts I had. I also have a twist.

The problem is that when I have everything configured, my site http://demortes.hopto.org still gives the default page for apache2 installation. The "It works!" followed by "This is the default web page for this server." and on a new line, "The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

To explain what I've done, I'll need to explain my network setup as well. ISPConfig 2 is installed on a VMWare Server, through Windows 7 as the host machine. The "guest" is an Ubuntu 9.10 server, no GUI components installed. I followed a guide The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10) [ISPConfig 2] (source here). This is all behind a NAT Linksys WRT54GS2 router with the ports forwarded.

Before installing the ISPConfig through the installer I installed the suPHP according to the Ubuntu section here. I did download the latest, as the one listed there didn't compile. Everything else I configured and compiled just as stated there.

With the above information, you realize by now I have two IP addresses to consider. My 192.169 and my external. Since any nslookup can give that IP address out, that would be 69.92.132.200.

I restored a working backup of the ispconfig database, but it seems to not be working now. I would like to confirm, and if needed, get further help on locating what is going wrong and why I'm not getting the ISPConfig page stating it's hosted and the default for ISPConfig, instead of the "It works".

Now the servers IP address in Management -> Server -> Settings is currently set to my 192.168 address. Everything dependent on that is set as well, the co-domain IP, etc. The DNS is set as that as well, since the hopto.org does not rely on my DNS server for it. The IP address does not give me the sharedip either.

What do I need to look at to see why ISPConfig's vhost is not taking over vs the /var/www/index.html

After realizing to myself what the problem might be, I checked the /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf file, and it's blank.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to receiving the great help I see here all the time. Accept my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Demortes
    Kevin Dethlefs-Moreno

P.S. Of course, if you need more information or pastes from actual files, please let me know.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. demortes

demortes Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I have taken from the post is to move the Vhosts backup, and check syntax.

I received the following:

root@demortes:/etc/apache2/vhosts# mv Vhosts_ispconfig.conf vhosts_ispconfig.conf.bak
    root@demortes:/etc/apache2/vhosts# mv Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_10-11-09_02-31-19 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf
    root@demortes:/etc/apache2/vhosts# httpd -t
    httpd: bad user name ${APACHE_RUN_USER}

4. demortes

demortes Member

Also, looking into it further, I found it needed envvars, which contain:

# envvars - default environment variables for apache2ctl

# Since there is no sane way to get the parsed apache2 config in scripts, some
    # settings are defined via environment variables and then used in apache2ctl,
    # /etc/init.d/apache2, /etc/logrotate.d/apache2, etc.
    export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data
    export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data
    export APACHE_PID_FILE=/var/run/apache2.pid

## The locale used by some modules like mod_dav
    export LANG=C
    ## Uncomment the following line to use the system default locale instead:
    #. /etc/default/locale

export LANG

5. till

6. demortes

demortes Member

Syntax error on line 36 of /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf:
    Invalid command 'php_admin_flag', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Looking deeper into this, it seems its because I disabled PHP5 and allowed suPHP globally.

How should I have done this, if not done by the guide on this site?

7. till

You have to enable suphp in the ispconfig config.inc.php file. See first steps guide for details.

8. demortes

demortes Member

a2enmod php5 gave me some results.

The sharedip vhost now comes up for my demortes.hopto.org url.

What am I missing?

9. till

See my post above.

10. demortes

demortes Member

I got it to work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Till.

11. demortes

demortes Member

I prematurely blew the whistle... now the PHP sites that I'm restoring from backup states this in the error.log

[Tue Nov 10 04:02:24 2009] [error] [client 69.92.132.200] SecurityException in Application.cpp:511: Unknown Interpreter: php
    [Tue Nov 10 04:02:24 2009] [error] [client 69.92.132.200] Premature end of script headers: index.php

12. demortes

demortes Member

Nevermind... blew the whistle early twice... corrected permissions, good to go.

Why, however, do I need chmod 755 on my php files, when I should be able to do chmod 770 in my head? Am I not understanding the purpose of suPHP?

13. demortes

demortes Member

Nope, something still aint right.

Now I'm getting error 500. Error.log still has those same errors.

Please help

14. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in your suphp.conf? Which suPHP version do you use?

15. demortes

demortes Member

0.7.1, and

[global]
    ;Path to logfile
    logfile=/var/log/suphp.log

;Loglevel
    loglevel=warn

;User Apache is running as
    webserver_user=www-data

;Path all scripts have to be in
    docroot=/

;Path to chroot() to before executing script
    ;chroot=/mychroot

; Security options
    allow_file_group_writeable=true
    allow_file_others_writeable=false
    allow_directory_group_writeable=true
    allow_directory_others_writeable=false

;Check wheter script is within DOCUMENT_ROOT
    check_vhost_docroot=true

;Send minor error messages to browser
    errors_to_browser=false

;PATH environment variable
    env_path=/bin:/usr/bin

;Umask to set, specify in octal notation
    umask=0022

; Minimum UID
    min_uid=100

; Minimum GID
    min_gid=100

[handlers]
    ;Handler for php-scripts
    x-httpd-php=php:/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/suphp/usr/bin/php-wrapper

;Handler for CGI-scripts
    x-suphp-cgi=execute:!self

Oh... I need permissions 770...

16. demortes

demortes Member

I think this is fixed.

Fixed by putting the quotations around:

php:/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/suphp/usr/bin/php-wrapper

and

x-suphp-cgi=execute:!self

I do have some concern about suPHP, but that's not for this thread.