It Works

Discussion in 'General' started by otacon, Oct 19, 2010.

1. otacon

otacon New Member

I am unsure if what I am seeing is what is suppose to be happening.

In my www/ directory I have index.html that I can't change delete or do anything with my Test user I have created for ftp.

I make the website remcycle.net and when I go to remcycle.net I get "It works"

which is from the www/index.html file. (that I can't modify)

I also have a remcycle.net folder with another index.html file with the isp index.html.

If I just install ISPConfig shouldn't my index.html be the one inside the remcycle.net folder?

or is it suppose to be the one in the www folder?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to upload the files of your website to the "web" by FTP. Files in the /var/www folder are not accessible of yours as thats the tree for all sites and not the webdir of a hosted site.

Also make sure that you followed exactly the perfect server guide to prepare your system for ispconfig before you installed ispconfig.

3. otacon

otacon New Member

As far as I know I Followed the Perfect Debian installation verbatim.

I knew that it had to be wrong since I could not change any of the information.

So when I go to my external IP address it reads the /var/www/ instead of the /var/www/remcycle.net/

How would I correct this issue?
    What Configuration am I looking at?

4. till

Websites can only be reached by domain name and not by IP address as these are namebesed virtual hosts. So you have to enter http://remcycle.net into the browser address bar and not the IP.

5. otacon

otacon New Member

so if I have my website go to my dyndns.org url then it will not work. I would need it to forward straight to the ip address or else the system will not know it as remcycle.net

thanks

6. till

Yes, you have to use your dyndns Domain name for the website. If your server is behind a router, you use the internal Ip for the website and not the external IP and the internal IP in a NAT network does not change.