Joomla - Can't install components or templates

Discussion in 'General' started by DazzyB, Apr 28, 2007.

1. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

I have set up Joomla on a website I created using ISPConfig on my Server, whenever I try to install something I get this message:

Code:
    Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/www.dnet.za.net/web/media/com_jce_110_beta2.zip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/web6/) in /var/www/web6/web/administrator/components/com_installer/admin.installer.php on line 175
    how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. Leszek

Leszek Member

How did You install Joomla! on this server ? I mean did You rename configuration.php-dist to configuration.php and change the settings by hand (that's only an idea) or did You let the installer fill it with data by itself ?
    Anyway I think that Joomla! wants to install a module or a theme in a directory that it shouldn't so it has to be a configuration problem with Joomla!.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  3. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Nevermind, I was stupid. I enabled PHP Safemode by mistake. thanks anyway

4. Leszek

Leszek Member

Joomla! can properly run on a server with php safe mode ON and You should be able to install what You want.

5. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

I'm sure it can, Joomla! RULES!! but I guess ISPConfig add all kinds of wierd resrtictions to safemode.

Because the error says "open_basedir restriction in effect" now I'm very new to Linux and the PHP/HTML enviroment, but I think Joomla was trying to place the files to be insatlled in their correct directories, and it started at the "/var" directory searching up the directory tree, and because "/var" is not allowed to be read by any website with safemode, it threw me an error.

thats my logic I suppose, all PHP professionals PLEASE COMMENT, I gotta learn someday, lol.

6. Leszek

Leszek Member

If it was like You say it would cause a lot incompatibility problems with lots of php applications and scripts.The setting "open_basedir" can be set in php.ini and it is related to php safe mode.
    This can also be a file permissions problem.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  7. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Naa, I set all my files to chmod 0777 and no luck, and yes it did cause problems with another php script "phpSysInfo-2.5.3" which only started working after I turned off Safemode

8. Leszek

Leszek Member

When a script is executed in safe mode,PHP checks if the executed script belongs to the user that want's to execute it.If not,You can get errors.

Yes.PhpSysInfo cannot run with php safe mode on because it uses functions that are restricted in this mode.The author of this script wrote everything in the readme.

9. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

I also chowned the files:- www-data:www-data

Ye, I did see that.

10. Leszek

Leszek Member

When I tested ISPConfig i noticed that file and directory ownership was different than www-data:www-data.They depend on the user of the account,ex. leszek:web2.

11. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Ye, I know, thats why I tried chmoding it, but thats didn't work

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang New Member

Not chmod but chown to the proper user.

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Some general infos.

1) No, ISPConfig does not add any wired restrictions on safemode like DazzyB thought. ISPConfig uses the rstrictions that you configured in your php.ini for safemode.

2) You can set php.ini values with the php_admin_flag and php_admin_value apache directives in the apache directives field of the ISPConfig website.

3) To run a PHP script with the permissions of the website owner (system user), you must run PHP by SuPHP, as cgi with SuEXEC or via fastcgi.

14. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Sorry, I ment I tried chowning it.

As I said I'm very new to Linux and Apache and PHP etc.

I'll have a look at the php.ini file.
    But I don't need Safemode anyhow, I'm only running my server for myself to learn bla bla bla etc.

Thanks for all you guys help. ;)