Joomla on ISP Config 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by davidj_id, May 4, 2009.

1. davidj_id

davidj_id New Member

Does anyone had installed joomla on ISP config 3 on Centos 5.3 (final)
    a little share for the newbies on doing the subject matter please...

any reference and guidance are highly appreciated...

2. robilaur

robilaur New Member

I have like 4 sites based on joomla on my server.... I use debian... but i think its the same thing.... Make Site , make database, install joomla and all`s good :D

3. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

Is it still needed to use suphp etc to run joomla properly on ispconfig 3

Thanks
    Steve

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The question must be is joomla able to run with mod_php, as far as I know it still does not work properly with mod_php, this does not depend on the control panel you use. So you will either have to use suphp or php-fcgi + suexec.

5. kassie

kassie New Member

I have 1 going without any problems....

6. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have Joomla problems too. I have Installed ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 just for testing here at home on a spare pc. (Going to make me a new server and would like to know if i upgrade to version 3 or not. now running ISPConfig 2)

Made an client with a website.
    Uploaded the (unzipt) joomla files to its dir on the web site.
    Set the site to use suphp. witch is necessary if i am reading it correct.
    Set my host file to use the test sites url.

But if i type the url in my browser to begin the joomla install nothing happens.
    I got a 404 error. Am i missing something?

TIA

7. till

Installing cms systms like wordpress, joomla and typo3 is flawlessly in ispconfig 3. For cms systems like joomla you use normally php-fcgi + suexec as thats better suited then suphp.

Regarding your 404 issue, make sure that you access the website with its domain name and that this domain name exists in dns and that the IP address that you selected for this website is the same then the IP address that you set in the dns record.

8. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I can confirm that CMS systems like TYPO3, Joomla 1.x, 1.5.x, Wordpress, Textpattern, EasyCMS and also Drupal work great on an ISPConfig3 server.
    For dynamic websites i use php-fcgi + suexec but suphp can be used as well, but is a little slower and uses a little bit more resources.

9. Appie Thrasher

@ Till & Hans
    Thanks guys for the quick response. I am going to try it again.
    I knew it had to be a little thing so going to check the settings.

Must sat my first impression of ISPConfig is a good one, hope I get it up and running like I did with the version 2.

10. Appie Thrasher

The given solution works like a charm....

11. quannv

quannv New Member

My server have multiple site, almost is joomla, and we are be attacked by hacker and they delete anything they can. I did scan host by clamav and found shell, now I switch to suPHP and change mode all site to 640. Can we be attack in the future by shell?

12. Nicram

Nicram Member

It all depend by php configuration, how it's working etc.
    Best is to use Apache in chroot/jail, suPHP, and maybe even something more.
    While i'm not sure if ispconfig works good with apache in chroot.

13. Toucan

Toucan Member

Most of my sites are Joomla.

I found that depending on how you install joomla dictates which php mode you should use.

I installed some via the more bandwidth heavey process using a gui ftp in which case SuPHP and SuExec worked fine.

On other sites I installed using wget and then tarring them on the server itself. In that case, I found I got that 404 error. I think it was to do with ownership permissions. In that case I switched to ModPHP and it was fine.

I always jail the accounts.

14. baskin

baskin Member

I'm putting this here because it has to do with joomla's permissions issues on ISPconfig 3 server.

I have a new clean install of Joomla with fast-cgi and SuEXEC. The installation runs fine, but i have some problems with specific extension that i try to install through joomla extensions installer.

I have enabled (is this the right way?) the joomla's FTP layer by entering the FTP user created with ispconfig. I can see that all the joomla files are owned by the respective shell user and joomla reports (on information tab) that everything is ok regarding permission and settings.

I'm experiencing an issue with Joomfish (the well known multilingual extension of joomla) that refuses to be installed. I'm getting a

Code:
            * JFTP::write: Bad response
            * Unable to write entry
    when i try to install it. If i disable the FTP layer of joomla the install runs fine but the i have files and folders (not on the same place, so it is not easy to find them) on the /web folder owned by wwwrun:www (the apache user) and i'm getting several issues after that regarding the installation or operation of other extensions and the joomla core itself.

From the Joomfish FAQ i saw this:

I have tried the same configuration on a hosting provider that runs Lite Speed and Plesk and i haven't the same issue. Everything goes well there.

So there is a combination of issues regarding ISPconfig, joomla and Joomfish and there is no one to blame.

I will be grateful for any hints.

15. till

If you enabled suexec, then you dont uneed the FTP layer in joomlas as joomla runs already under the user of the website and has write permissions to its folders. So please deactivate the FTP layer.

16. baskin

baskin Member

I thought so but then i have permission issues when i try to install other extensions and i have the files owned by wwwrun:www.

Maybe the problem is with my installation of ISPconfig regarding SuEXEC.

When i restart apache i'm getting this:

Code:
    rcapache2 restart
    [Tue Oct 19 18:14:11 2010] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
    Warning: SuexecUserGroup directive requires SUEXEC wrapper.
    Syntax OK
    Shutting down httpd2 (waiting for all children to terminate)                                             done
    Starting httpd2 (prefork) [Tue Oct 19 18:14:12 2010] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
    I'm on Opensuse 11.1

17. till

Ok, seems as if suexec is not installed which causes the problems on your system and thats also the reason why thes efiles are owned by the wrong user. With suexec enabled, they should be owned by the web and not the apache user.

Please run these commands (wich are from the opensuse ispconfig tutorial) to enable suexec:

a2enmod suexec
    chown root:www /usr/sbin/suexec2
    chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/suexec2

and then restart apache.

18. baskin

baskin Member

Ok Till, i will done this later and report if i have a problem.

Thank you again for your help.

The strange think is that i'm always following the guides letter by letter, but it is sometime ago that this server (the only ISPConfig server that i manage for a wireless community network - http://www.cywn.gr) was setup.

Do you suspect any opensuse updates to have interfere with this settings? (if i had executed them in the installation procedure...)

19. till

Yes, that might be the reason for the problem.

One thing that I forgot, when suexec is working, then change joomla the files in the web folder to the web user and client group of this website.

20. baskin

baskin Member

The files are ok because i have started from scratch again and haven't installed anything until i post here about this.

Do you have any hint about which specific updates maybe have been the guilty ones? (for future reference)