just a quick postfix hostname question,

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Jonathon Gilbert, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jonathon Gilbert

Jonathon Gilbert Member HowtoForge Supporter

i had a issue where i was getting a helo rejected message.
    since then i have had the reverse dns sorted by the isp and my reverse dns is now working. however i also had the wrong server name setup and have since adjusted that and as far as i can see in the config - both in ISPConfig and the postfix main.cf file are showing the correct server name. however... when i run a test to check the email function it still comes up with a "Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner" error.
    note this is actualy the second time i have adjusted the server name but i didnt run this test straight after changing the server name the first time...

so my question is, does it take time to replicate the server name? i had thought it was pulling that info straight from the server.

if it is, is there somewhere elsie in ispconfig 3 files that also needs to be updated?

i have also adjust the hosts file and the hostnames files to match the server name.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The hostname is set in /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, /etc/mailname, /etc/postfix/main.cf and in ISPConfig under System > Server config. Check all these places, if a file does not exist, then that's ok as e.g. /etc/mailname exists on Debian and Ubuntu only. Afterwards, reboot the server and then check the hostname again. Consider using an alternate tool for the check as well, there are many sites that offer this like intodns.com and others.

3. Jonathon Gilbert

Jonathon Gilbert Member HowtoForge Supporter

cheers for your response till.

turns out i was lookin in all the wrong places and i had in fact only updated the "mydestination" address...

the actual line i should have been changing is at the very bottom of the mail.cf file called "myhostname"

4. daniel712

daniel712 Member HowtoForge Supporter

May the hostname by different from the mailname? E.g. may i name my server (/etc/hostname, /etc/hosts) foo.bar.de and my mailserver bar.bar.de (/etc/mailname, /etc/postfix/main.cf)?

Thanks for Answer,
    Daniel.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would sue the same name if possible as hostname, mailname and reverse dns should match to get a good spam scoring (in my opinion).

Th0m likes this.