KDB in embedded system

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by showoff, Oct 17, 2007.

1. showoff

showoff New Member

Hi all,

I am developing an embedded product based on Debian (kernel 2.4), but (oddly enough) my development environment has a higher kernel version (2.6.8-2-386). There is currently no way to synchronize between the two.

I would like to be able to patch KDB into the embedded source code for debugging the kernel through a serial port after loading the compiled system. It seems pointless (and hazardous) to apply the KDB patches to the development environment.

Can anyone direct me to a solution? Or an alternative, maybe?

Thanks...

2. showoff

showoff New Member

I'd like to make sure that I'm not misunderstood:

The source code that I'm building is based on kernel 2.4. The end result of the compilation is a Debian system with all the additional product-specific drivers and applications.

The compilation environment, on the other hand, is based on kernel 2.6, as I wrote above. As I saw in several articles, KDB requires the two patches kdb-v4.2-2.4.20-common-1.bz2 and kdb-v4.2-2.4.20-i386-1.bz2. But patching them, or even their newer versions (which would be more relevant to the appropriate kernel), to the compilation environment makes no sense to me.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give...