Keeping information | tracebility

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by Hans, May 22, 2008.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The Dutch government decided today that Internet service Providers need to keep all information for a minimum period of 1 year. This information contains e-mail, surf behaviour, chat sessions, telephone calls/sms and so on.

It is a follow up of the European guidelines which tells us that this information must be kept for minimum of 6 months till a maximum of 2 years. Reason for all this: tracebility in case of criminal activities.

This means that hosting providers, in my case in The Netherlands, need to keep all incoming/outgoing e-mail on their systems for a period of one year.

I am using some ISPConfig servers, and i wonder myself: what is a good setup to keep all incoming/outgoing e-mails on the system or on a seperate e-mail backup system?

I think this is an issue to discuss about, because keeping this information is concerning a lot of ISP's in Europe. For this reason, i would like to talk about one ore more solutions within this thread, or even better i would like to suggest a new howto which explains how to handle this.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Thanks Falko for your input.
    I will study this one, it looks not that difficult.