Kernel Panic after yum update on Fedora 13.

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by cvgeeks, Jul 25, 2010.

1. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

After doing an update today my server would not reboot. Keeping in mind I'm not a guru just a guy trying to learn is all.
    I searched all over and to no avail everything I found was pointing me to the fact that the person was trying to update their kernel when their problem happened however in my case yum was the one doing the update from 33.5 to 33.6. Anyway I received a message:
    kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0).. All I could say was Oh Shi*!

Not knowing what to do I booted to my Fedora Live cd to run a mem test so I could eleviate that as an issue. Then I booted to my Fedora boot disc and went into RESCUE MODE: (seemed appropriate at the time)

I then mounted my file system by running the command like it told me too.
    chroot /mnt/sysimage. Bang! I was in like flyn. (happy now I can see I have not lost anything).

Next I went to: cd /
    cd boot/grub
    vi grub.conf
    In vi I put a # infront of hidden then set my timeout period from 0 to 10.

I then rebooted the server to see if I could boot to my old kernel and infact YES I could. (ahhhhhh :D).

Smilingly now I went back into the system and removed the newly created kernel thingy in my grub.conf file. It looked somthing like below:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------title Fedora (2.6.33.6-124.fc13.i686.PAE)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.33.5-124.fc13.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_webhost-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_webhost/lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_webhost/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then I went into boot and found the new kernel config file and rm -f'd it!

Still having no idea whats really going on other than a new kernel came to town and shut me down! So I x'd him out.

Now the real question for me is: Will this happen once again when I perform another yum update? hmm doesnt look good for me if this kernel 33.6 guy comes back!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think this can happen again - there's no guarantee that it will work. But did you check the Fedora bugtracker if this is a known issue? Maybe it has already been fixed.

3. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Thanks for the pointer.
    No I did not check that out. I didn't even know there was a bug tracker :D
    I'll check it out.

Thanks again.