KVM Virtualization HowTo

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by yosu, Jan 24, 2011.

1. yosu

yosu New Member

Hi, could it be possible to add some instructions for the use of nested virtualization?

I am looking forward to do a 2 NC install of UEC in one single machine and I believe this would be the best method, I am willing to share back the tutorial I am writing on it if it is useful.

Yosu.

2. yosu

yosu New Member

Sorry to make you go mad :mad:
    What did I say???

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

So you want to have a virtual machine inside a virtual machine?

4. yosu

yosu New Member

exactly!

I would like to test Eucalyptus, OpenNebula, cloud.com, openstack...
    Several VT enabled machines are required for these tests and I only have one.
    A friend told me nested virtualization would be the answer to my problem, so here I am, asking the only people that has a solid tutorial on KVM.

As I said I will write tutorials on these cloud platforms and I am willing to share back if you feel like it may be useful.

Thank you, Yosu.

5. falko

I'm not sure if this is possible - I think you have to try. Maybe it works on some virtualization techniques, but I guess most (if not all) will throw errors at you...

6. yosu

yosu New Member

I've been told it is possible, as you well say, as per today, it works only on KVM. The fellow who told me is an expert in Virtualization, and he is also part of the main Debian team, he is in charge of the virtualization in Debian, so I trust him. I've been also told that it is not complicated at all, you just need to add some parameters here and there because it is now native for KVM, you just need to activate the feature. Point is I have no idea of what these parameters are or where they go.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. falko

I can put this on my ToDo list - I can test this, and if it works, I can write a tutorial about it. But I can't say when I will find the time...

8. yosu

yosu New Member

OK! thank you very much for considering.
    I will post here anything I may find out...
    I was wrong, looks like XEN supports nested virtualization as default, but it must be XEN inside XEN unless you want some trouble; and Eucalyptus uses KVM as default.