Let's Encrypt move sub-webdomain to subdomain

Discussion in 'General' started by boman.de, Sep 29, 2020.

1. boman.de

boman.de New Member

Hello there,
    I recently installed an ISPConfig on a clean debian 10 (both latest versions). For the panel I made a webdomain login.domain.tld and got a LE Cert. After that I installed the ordinary page domain.tld. together with some subdomains like mail.domain.tld etc. Now if someone uses domain.tld in his email server settings he will get a cert error because the DNS-Name login.domain.tld (which I also use for MX) is not in the certificate list, what is kinda understandable.

My question now is: How to join the login. subdomain to all the others?
    My solution would be:
    - backup /etc/letsencrypt
    - delete webdomain login.domain.tld
    - delete login.domain.tld with the "certbot delete" command
    - make a subdomain login.domain.tld in ispconfig and activate LE SSL

Do you expect any errors or any flaws with my solution? Are there some disadvantages? Should I keep it and change the MX-Records?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Tell them not to do that.
    Instead they should use login.domain.tld as e-mail server, if that is what you have set up.
    There are other solutions, but I would say they are worse and do not scale. Search old discussions on this forum.

3. boman.de

boman.de New Member

:D That was my point, too. But you know how customers are. It also has no priority for me. Everything is working just fine - as always with ISPConfig. It's just a thing "why would you do it? - because I want to." It's about thinking about possible problems and finding solutions.

Thank you for your answer.