Let's Encrypt SSL box won't stay checked

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Wilt, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Wilt

Wilt Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am running the current version of ISPconfig on Ubuntu 16.04 and everything is working fine except for Let's Encrypt. When I check the Let's Encrypt SSL box against any of my websites (on the Domain tab), the SSL box is also automatically checked. I then save the change but when I look at the domain again the Let's Encrypt and SSL check boxes are unchecked. I can generate an SSL certificate under the SSL tab and this seems to work fine but I still can't get the Let's Encrypt checkbox to remain checked. I can check the SSL box and this remains checked after a save but not the Let's Encrypt option. I must be missing something somewhere - can anyone help? I configured the server using tutorial at :
    he Perfect Server - Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) with Apache, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Postfix, Dovecot and ISPConfig 3.1
    Thanks,
    Cliff

2. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

Double check your DNS settings and do nothing under SSL except fill in your info. it should work.
    Whenever I had an issue it was due to error in DNS.

3. EasiStudio

EasiStudio New Member

I am having exactly the same issues although I don't use ISPConfig for my DNS as it is handled through a 3rd party service.

4. Wilt

Thanks ganewbie. DNS all looks fine and my web sites are accessible from the web. e.g. www.turuncwalks.com
    I am getting a warning when i do a DNS check that I don't fully understand:
    Could this possibly cause a problem with Let's Encrypt?
    Are there any Let's Encypt logs that could help isolate the problem?
    Thanks,
    Cliff

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

6. Wilt

Thanks till. The letsencrypt log files are empty so that doesn't help.
    Are there any other logs that might indicate Let's Encrypt problems. Are there any other logging parameters I should set in order to see what's going on?
    Thanks.
    Cliff

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  7. till

you can use the nromal ispconfig debugging to see what ispconfig is doing and the letsencrypt log should not be empty if letsencrypt is installed properly. Maybe you should consider to reinstall letsencrypt and empty /etc/letsendcrypt to start with a clean config.

8. Wilt

OK, thanks Till. I have done that and the letsencrypt log file is attached. At the end of the installation I asked which names I would like to activate HTTPS for and I didn't select any as I assume we want ISPConfig to take care of that. I still have the same problem and nothing appears in the log file when I try and create a Let's Encrypt certificate for one of my web sites.

Attached Files:

9. till

10. EasiStudio

EasiStudio New Member

I got someone to have a look at my server this morning and found Let's Encrypt (I presume he meant certbot) was not installed as root. He fixed this and now works perfectly.

My problem was (still is) I have always been a Debian user but chose Ubuntu as it had PHP7 by default.

11. Wilt

Thanks again Till. I have done that and tried again to create a LE certificate via ISPconfig (log file extract attached). It looks to me like the request is issued correctly and a certificate is returned:
    but the Let's Encrypt check box and the SSL check box are both unchecked again.

Attached Files:

12. Wilt

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I installed it as root but I'll uninstall it and do it again just to be on the safe side!

13. Wilt

Oh, I just set my error logging to 'warning' rather than 'debug' and there is a warning message:
    so the log now contains:
    So there is a problem with the Let's Encrypt request. How do i dig into that?

14. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

15. Wilt

I have an A record for turuncwalks.com, an A record for www and an A record for mail.

16. sjau

then I don't know

17. Wilt

OK sjau, many thanks for interest, it is appreciated.

18. sjau

you could try manually with a different client though... to see if it's a problem in general or just ISPC

19. Wilt

So, even though I have working DNS, and it checks out OK (e.g. with dnsstuff.com), Let's Encrypt is rejecting the request generated by ISPconfig. How can I find out why the request is being rejected as the system logs in ISPconfig don't provide that level of information and there is nothing in the letsencrypt log about the rejection?
    Thanks.

20. EasiStudio

EasiStudio New Member

If you're interested, here is the link to the guy who fixed my installation. https://www.freelancer.com/u/tlchung.html

Wilt likes this.