lets support postgresql through ispconfig

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by sourceview, May 19, 2006.

1. sourceview

sourceview New Member

what would it take to support postgresql in ispconfig. I am loosing several customers a week now due to postgresql increasing preeminence.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you mean postgres support for the controlpanel backend or postgres support for client databases?

3. sourceview

sourceview New Member

Postgresql as alternative to mysql

ISPconfig is a great package which is adopted by most newer bsd and linux ISP's. Due to the problems for mysql from Oracle buying up innodb and berkeley db, postgresql is starting to move far ahead in terms of development. The FUD generated by Oracle's purchases is hitting home in businesses worldwide. Unless I am terribly mistaken, postgresql is the ONLY open source database which can't be sold out to commercial vendors, because of copyright retention. It is the only guaranteed database platform for community-based open source future.

The postgresql folks are investing heavily in making OpenOffice an automatic user of postgresql on windows (where it is now running natively) and on both bsd and linux servers. Infoworld has stories every month about how folks who started with mysql are now upgrading to postgresql. Postgresql has also become the open source standard for data warehousing, business intelligence and data analysis stacks.

I honestly believe that if ispconfig supported postgresql as an automatic option, supporting client databases, and connecting to the backend it would be met with great success. Most of the code to do it is already out there in places like pgadmin and webmin.

I am writing a book about how FOSS projects evolve over time, so anyone who wants to send me information directly, my address is: [email protected]

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That's a good point. We might add PostgreSQL aupport in the future, but don't expect this in the next two weeks... ;)

5. flourishing

flourishing ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

but now is 2006 06 ,we haven't see supporting for pgsql.
    :mad:

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Postgres support is not so easy to implement, as all MySQL specific SQL Staements (e.g. the Limit X,Y) has to be rewritten to be portable between different database types.

ISPConfig is an OpenSource project. If you need postgres support instantly, then program it yourself and do not send angry smilies. Maybe other developers have other priorities then you.

7. flourishing

flourishing ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

i am so sorry for what i said.