letsencrypt for www subdomain

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by kommid, Oct 4, 2024.

1. kommid

kommid Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I set up a new VServer using the ISPConfig autoinstall script and everything seemed to work fine, but now I seem to have a letsencrypt problem:
    I set up two domains domain.com, at the "Auto-Subdomain" dropdown I selected "www" and I ticked the SSL and the Let's Encrypt SSL checkboxes, but it seems to create the ssl certificate only for domain.com. When i call www.domain.com I get a SSL error: "SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN".
    Screenshot 2024-10-04 101733.png
    Usually I don't use www subdomains so I'm not sure, if I do everythint right here. Any help is appreciated :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The settings look fine, and the www subdomain gets added to the SSL cert automatically. Most likely, the DNS record for the www subdomain did not point to your system when you enabled auto-subdomain www in the site. Check that the www subdomain points to the correct IP in DNS now, then set auto subdomain to none, press save, set auto-subdomain to www again, and press save.

if this does not help, please follow this checklist to find the reason why LE refuses to issue an SSL cert for the www subdomain:

https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/lets-encrypt-error-faq.74179/

kommid likes this.
  3. kommid

kommid Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you Till,
    it seems, the dns was the cause: I had two A-entries, one for domain.com and one for *. After adding another one for www, Let's Encrypt issued the certificate for www as well.