letsencrypt - problems with www.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by craigfanman, Feb 10, 2017.

1. craigfanman

craigfanman Member

Hi. I have quite a few sites where blah123.com is the domain, and www.blah123.com does not work, DNS is not registered.

When Letsencrypt makes an SSL it always tries to get www. as well no matter how I have it setup in ispconfig. eg:
    10.02.2017-16:53 - DEBUG - Let's Encrypt SSL Cert domains:blah123.co.uk --domains www.blah123.co.uk

Failed authorization procedure. www.blah123.co.uk (http-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.blah123.co.uk

This causes it to fail and get no certs. Anyone know how to fix this? Cheers

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

www is only included in a ssl cert when you included the www subdomain in the website e.g. by using "auto subdomain www" instead of "aut subdomain none".

3. craigfanman

craigfanman Member

Hiya, yeah thats what I thought but testing it doesnt seem to be the case. I have a site with Auto Subdomain: *.
    The vhost file looks like this:

ServerName blah123.co.uk
    ServerAlias *.blah123.co.uk
    ServerAdmin [email protected]

There is no extra line for www. which does show if you set auto subdomain to www. in ispconfig. Yet for some reason lets encrypt is still trying to get www. aswell.

I just checked in the database and this domain shows subdomain = *, but 'is_subdomainwww' = 1. Could this be whats causing the problem? I would guess this should be off. Every domain in my db has is_subdomainwww=1

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your auto subdomain is set to * and not to none, thats why www get's included. St it to none as I explained in #2.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think LE is looking for your site blah123.co.uk via web but couldn't find it. Can ping to www.blah123.co.uk and see whether its IP is the same with blah123.co.uk? Can you also check the DNS whether www is there and pointed to the same IP address as blah123.co.uk ?