limit number of backups for clients

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by chico11mbit, Mar 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. chico11mbit

chico11mbit Member

Hello,
    Is it correct that in the admin client menu you can only specify whether clients see the backup tab for web and mail or not?
    It would be good if you could also set the number of possible backups that a client can set for each service.
    I think 30 possible backups is too much. every client will set that if he has the possibility and that should be limited.

best regards
    chico

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

why would having 30 backups be an issue?
    if you enable the 'Include backup files into web quota.' option, then they can only create as many backups as their disk quota allows..
    as long as they remain under that, does it really matter to you if they have just 1 backup, or 10, or 100?

3. chico11mbit

chico11mbit Member

The backups they clients make are not the same as if the admin make the backups?
    When the admin set the amount of backups and the interval the backup will be at the location path which is set in /system/serverconfig/MYSERVER/backup directory.
    This backups are outside the users quota.

from the ispconfig-manual:
    1. Include backup files into web quota: This option changes the owner of backup files (which is the root user by default) to the user of the website, so that backup files count to the file system quota of
      the website. It is not recommended to enable this option. Using this option might weaken the security of the backup storage as it might be possible that a hacker which gains access to the website can remove backup files of that website.

4. nhybgtvfr

the backups the client and admin make are the same...
    the backups are only ever in the clients backup folder if they select the option to download the backup, which is when it's copied from the default backup location to the backup folder in the clients website area where they can access it via ftp.
    and as i've already stated, in the main system config, you can choose to include backup files into their website disk quota.

5. chico11mbit

chico11mbit Member

Can I assume that it also applies to the use of borgbackup?

6. nhybgtvfr

i can't answer that. i've not used the borgbackup option myself properly, only done a quick test with it recently...
    although considering it's still a server-wide config, and the backups, albeit incremental, are all stored in the default backup location, and
    the download, if selected, appears to copy a fully complete backup to the clients own backup folder, i see no reason for it's behaviour regarding disk quota's to be any different.
    someone who's used it a lot more than me would have to confirm that though.