Limits for Mail.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Quaxth, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

I was set the Mailbox limit to 30MB per mail. Now, I was need to send an attachment with 20MB and got the error messages that max size is set to 5MB upload.

Was looking for the settings in CP and didn't found.

So, whiloe using Roundcube at the moment, I was looking there and found in htaccess:
    [​IMG]

That seems to be the limits for Roundcube. If I change that limits would that be OK?

Also directly next question: If I like to go back to SquirrelMail, would that be an easy task? And as I asked already, send an Request too, is it possible to change the Mail Client "on the fly"?

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You mix up email limits with php limits here. The email limit limits the size that postfix accepts for emails. The upload size is not related to that, the upload size is a limitation in php to limit the max. size of files uploaded by a php application.

Yes.

If the upload size is still 5MB afterwards, then take alook at the php.ini file and increase the limits there too.

You can have both webmail clients installed at the same time, just ensure that you use different aliases for them or that you install them in different websites.

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

That means that the overall size is those limits which is set in Server Config->Mail, in my case 30MB.

So, in htaccess I'll set Max File Upload size to 25MB and Post/Mail Max size tp 30MB, which would correspond to the 30MB for Mail as mentioned above.

If I use instead of Webmail SqMail for SquirrelMail and RcMail for Roundcude, that should work?

Thanks.

4. till

You can do that. But personally I would use all lowercase aliases.

5. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Ok, understood. I wrote that in that mood just to show the difference.

Got an other problem, it's the SMTP Server. I changed the size to 25/30MB and still could not send 10MB attachment, rejected by the SMTP. Have to take a closer look at that.May need to find an other SMTP than from my ISP.

For the time being I could just use Hyperlinks for downloads. May would be even better at all. that has still a bit of time.

Thanks for the infos. If more questions come up, for sure I'll ask. Refuse to do everything without to exactly know it's correct. On PC whit Windows no problems but Linux!!

6. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

I was looking where to change the Alias webmail and now I'm not sure. One place is:
    [​IMG]

Did I need to change the Name here to let say sqmail and rcmail

Or do I need to create 2 AlsiasDomains here:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. till

You have to change the alias in the squirrelmail and roundcube apache configuration files. After you did that, you canchange the webmail URL iúnder System config. Domain aliases are not related to webmail. A domain alias is a alisdomain of a website.

8. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks Till. Will do that later today.

9. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

And just a question: How do I separate the 2 different Webmail names in System? Just with an ,(comma)?

Thanks.

10. till

The setting in system is a url to the webmail client which shall be used as default for your users. So yu can enter only one URL as a html hyperlink has only one href attribute.

11. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Didn't that means that I could use 1 Mail Client, SquirrelMail or Roundcube for ALL users incl. the Admin?!

What I was asking for, were to be able to select which Mail Client a user could use is on the behalf of that user. Example, in cPanel I've 4 different Mail Clients and could chose between all of those.

What you say is, that in ISPConfig there is one global Mail Client only which could be used at the same time by ALL users.

Thanks.

12. till

You can use as many webmail clients as you want on your server as long as you have free disk space to install them and as long as there is a free combination of chars to build a URL (which should be a few billions of choices) for the alias. The webmail client is simply reached by using the alias URL in your web browser. You can even install a on webmail instance for each user or several webmail instances for each user as long as the above requirements are met.

What you mix up here is the link of the icon that points to the default webmail client which you set in ispconfig with the option to have as many webmal clients as you want or like in your case, to have squirrelmail and roundcube on the aliases /roundcube and /squirrelmail

13. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Somewhere I lost you, me think!!

Where do I create the Alias URL for either SquirrelMail and Roundcube? And I point that Alias URL to where?

I didn't use any Icon for to connect to the Mail Client I just use the Browser like http://mydomain.com/webmail and that works fine for the default Mail Client.

Again, where do I create the Aliases for the Mail Clients?

Thanks.

14. till

The alias'es are set in the apache configuration files for squirrelmail and roundcube. You find them in /etc/pache2/conf.d/

e.g. if you have a line:

Alias /webmail /usr/share/.....

the this means that you can access the installation path of the app (/usr/share/....) by using the alias (in this example /webmail) in the url. So www.yourdomain.tld/webmail will deliver the page (or in this case the webmail application) stored in the folder /usr/share/... on your server.

If you want to use roundcube and squirrelmail together, you have to use a different alias for them. e.g. /roudcube for roundcube and /squirrelmail for squirrelmail.

thats absolutely fine. the icon is just a letnative way to open the URL.

15. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

OK, got it now!!

I was looking in /etc/squirrelmail for the apache.conf file, which exist and also has the entries for the Aliases.

Will now check in /etc/init.d/

Ok, done that now. Even got an error while restarting apache, it works now.

The error were that the new aliases overlapping an older one and would properly not work, but it does and works well now.

Thanks a lot Till. I was near to go the wrong way using the apache.conf file in the Client folder!!

16. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Now and slowly I start to really understand why so many users refusing to change to Linux. Truth is that we're gone to be to lazy because of the easy use of GUI systems which not only taken over a lot work also also limiting the need of thinking what the user has to do!

It's like to to go back to the computers Stone age while changing to Linux from Windows and also OS-X!

What I'd done over the last 2 weeks on Linux, I would have need at max 2 day's in Windows, properly less!

Thanks for all your help and patient.