Link Servers Together

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by DualFusion, Jan 2, 2008.

1. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

Hello,

I am wanted to know if there was a way to create lets say a server with all the services i need (PHP, MySQL, DNS, etc...) and other server for the actual space for hosting. I want to host several of my sites in it, but I want the services separated from my site. Would this be possible with both servers using Ubuntu 7.10?

Thank you,
    Kevin.

EDIT: I also wanted to know if i can link a windows server with ASP and other MS only products, with the 2 linux servers to provide php, mysql, asp, and other ms-only server products. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You could do this with NFS: http://www.howtoforge.com/nfs-server-and-client-debian-etch

I don't think this is possible...

3. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

Thank you falko

But, I have seen several other hosts such as Mosso that do this.

Also, I have VMWare so that I can create several VPS's, how would I go by doing this? Create the main OS, create a kernel, use VMWare to create other partitions on my physical machine based on my kernel?

Thank you,
    Kevin.

EDIT: According to the NFS tutorial, I need a server and client. Can the client contain apache, php, dns, and other tools, and the server be a vps? Would I need to modify the vps, so that all the vs's are NFS servers, or do i just need the main OS to be NFS?

Another thing, if i later want to add more diskspace via USB drives onto the NFS server, can I put VPS's in the new HD's and still make it work good?

Thanks!

EDIT2: I was looking around online and saw on Joyent something called Joyent Accelerator, and said that it uses cloud-computing to accelerate the servers. I searched on Google to see if I can find something on Cloud Computing, and I did. I found a software called Hadoop. So this basically distributes the computing load throught one or many computers. I was wondering if this may be useful for what I want, would you happen to know? Basically one NFS VPS Server, one NFS Shared Server, Windows server (Ruby on Rails, ASP, .NET), and one Linux Server (PHP, Apache, DNS, Email).

One last thing, can you recommend some good firewall software. Is a load balancer the same thing as cloud computing? How can use load balancing to the fullest with my set up?

Thank you,
    Kevin.

EDIT3: I was looking more in depth into Mosso Hosting, and saw that the way they use both Windows AND Linux is with a Load Balancer. What it does is that it looks at the extension of the file, and if its PHP, for example, it will have the Linux Server handle the file, while if the file were ASP, the Windows Server would handle it. Would this be possible with load balancing software?

Thanks ALOT,
    Kevin.

EDIT4: OK, I came back with more information, Load Balancing is mostly defined as a Layer 4 Switch of the OSI Model, which basically means that a file can be sent to a certain server of many to handle it. But what Mosso does, is it uses Layer 7 Switching, which basically sends a file to a certain server based on the application its based in (ie. php, asp, etc...). Since I only have one of each application server, I wouldnt need Layer 4 Switching, but since I am using more than one server to handle different medias, I would need Layer 7 Switching, which can be hardware and/or software. I searched online for software compatible with ubuntu, but have failed. I found something called KTCPVS which makes me compile it in my Server, but I dont know how on Ubuntu, and if it would work. The author of the wiki of that site tested it on CentOS and it worked, but have no idea on Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  4. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

***bump***

5. falko

Yes, that's ok.

6. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

You missed some other questions :p

And one last question, would it be possible to make a shellscript or something to create the partition and put the OS in it, making it a working VPS? and how?

Thank you,
    Kevin.

7. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

*bump bump*

8. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

*BUMP BUMP BUMP* please

9. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

*BUMP* Atleast answer one question:

10. falko

Can you access the VMware GUI? You can use that for creating new VMs.

11. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

Actually, I was thinking of doing this with an automation. Basically have the commandline do this. I create kinda like an installer sort of thing, and when i access it via commandline, it would add the partition and software.

Would this be possible? and how?

EDIT: If i create the NFS Server with all the files, and the NFS Client with webserver and other services, i put ISPConfig or my CP of my choice in the client or in the server?

Thanks,
    Kevin.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  12. falko

I think it's the client, but that depends on your setup.

13. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

Thanks Falko,

Lets also say, my NFS server machine will have several VM's in there, I would need to install NFS server into each VM, right?

Let's also say I want to make the set up of VM's easier for me, and I want a shellscript or something that would actually create the partitions, copy the OS over to the new partition with NFS, change a couple of details, etc... How would that work? I would only want to activate the file, via terminal or something, like any other installer, instead of going to VMWare each time.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

14. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

***bump***

15. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

*bump Bump*

16. falko

I'm still not quite sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do... :confused:

17. DualFusion

DualFusion New Member

Basically, instead of using VMWare or another software to create the VPS's for me. I would like to know if this would be possible directly in Terminal with like a script or something.

18. falko

I'm not sure if such a script exists for VMware. For Xen, you could use xen-tools, for example (if you're on Debian or Ubuntu).