linux-2.6.20-1 and ide cd/dvd device nodes are detected as scsi!udev?

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by praka123, Apr 9, 2007.

1. praka123

praka123 New Member

Hello falkko and all,
    I compiled a linux-2.6-20 using the config file of my working 2.6.-18-4-686 debian kernel.everything went nice and only problem is my DVD writer and cd writer drives are now detected as /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 with lot of symlinks for it like sr0,sr1 etc.I have an asus via chipset board with 4 sata ports.
    My default 2.6.18-4 kernel detects these ide drives correctly and makes /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.I've got also a sata hdd /dev/sda.
    I think my udev version is older for the 2.6.20 as my udev version 105 while latest is 108.as for now which file to be edited for correcting the driver files.
    my /etc/udev/rules.d/z25-persistent-cd-rules which is dependent on some other config file is below:
    # CDDVDW_SH-S182F (pci-0000:00:0f.1-scsi-0:0:0:0)
    ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0f.1-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dv
    d", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
    ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0f.1-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dv
    drw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
    as seen it is scsi it is detecting!
    I dont know how the kernel detects ide drives as scsi things!
    here is part of dmesg:
    I have all modules probed correctly (ide-cd)
    the device names are from /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-cd.rules
    But In Debian,this file is created and ruled by config files like /etc/udev/udev.rules(the one i attached) the line:
    # SCSI devices
    SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", KERNEL=="sr[0-9]*", NAME="scd%n", SYMLINK+="sr%n"
    So if i edit the pci-0000:00:0f.1-scsi-0:0:1:0 line to pci-0000:00:0f.1-ide-0:0:1:0 it simply doesnt hold;udev reads from /etc/udev/udev.rules.
    in that file is creating these unwanted device files(i think).I have doubt with another file in the /etc/udev directory which is /etc/udev/devfs.rules and is similar in content to the /etc/udev/udev.rules file but with a line added more and inspiring:
    Code:
    prakrut:~# less /etc/udev/devfs.rules #IDE devices SUBSYSTEMS=="ide", KERNEL=="hd[a-z]*", PROGRAM="ide-devfs.sh %k %b %n", \ ACTION=="add", \ NAME="%c{1}", SYMLINK+="%k %c{2}"

but isnt devfs deprecated in linux-2.6?
    Should I copy this lines into the /etc/udev/udev.rules?
    also in the /lib/udev/ all files are maintained by depending on the main files in /etc/udev.

BTW i forgot to tell that i have a sata 80gb hdd ( ST380013AS) which is connected to sata port.
    my /proc information on my "scsi" cd/dvd drives:

Code:
    prakrut:~# cat /proc/scsi/scsi Attached devices: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: ATA Model: ST380013AS Rev: 3.18 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05 Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: TSSTcorp Model: CD/DVDW SH-S182F Rev: SB02 Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05 Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00 Vendor: SONY Model: CD-RW CRX210E1 Rev: 2YS2 Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Attached Files:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. praka123

praka123 New Member

{Solved}

OH!Thank You So much dear falkko!.So let the Debian makes the device nodes as /dev/scd0 etc.
    But I've got Ubuntu Feisty also installed and it runs with a linux-2.6.-20 kernel and correctly detects ide devices-my cd/dvd drives as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.but ubuntu feisty uses udev-108 with totally different config file names from what that is found on debian latest experimental.also debian's latest udev version is 105.so hopefully waiting for latest udev to fix this,if it is an error.Thank YOu again.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think Ubuntu will handle your IDE devices the same way as Debian if you upgrade the system to the latest packages by running

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

5. praka123

praka123 New Member

I run Debian mainly and I installed Feisty thats all.apt-get upgrade doesnot help yet.