Linux on Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by 7L7, Feb 11, 2022.

1. 7L7

7L7 New Member

So I'm curious about Linux and as I only a single computer, I was thinking about downloading Linux on a virtual machine. but I was wondering how I would handle that. My PC is fairly old and I currently do not have much storage space at all, but for the purpose of using Linux to mess around with it and maybe getting into understanding the cybersecurity with Linux. Should I be concerned about low storage space when considering that there's a lot of stuff I could potentially download that's related to security? And assuming I shouldn't be concerned, is there anything specific I should download through the terminal that would help me with understanding security in Linux?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Fairly old PC, minimal storage, that sounds like you actually can try linux but may be not in a virtual machine. I guess you may try installing linux in a usb stick and run it from there.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You could also consider buying a small VPS somewhere to work with Linux, some are only a few dollars a month. But about any old hardware (often had for free) would do to get started.

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you don't say what OS your pc is currently, if you're running windows 10, you could also try using WSL.
    you can choose between ubuntu/debian/suse/kali etc.

5. 7L7

7L7 New Member

I see, thanks for the suggestions.