list additional limit templates from api

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by nhybgtvfr, Jul 2, 2021.

1. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

hi,
    i'm looking at the ispconfig plugin for hostbill, but it looks like it was developed for ispconfig v2.
    i can't get add-on products to eg, increase the web disk quota, or mailbox quota, or number of mailboxes etc, because they'd be specified by an additional template in ispconfig, and there's no way link an additional template to an add-on in hostbill.

their developers are looking at it, and say they can add it into their system, but have currently come back to me with this:
    any ideas/help? i haven't had a chance to look through the api examples in the ispconfig tarball to see if there's anything helpful in there yet, plus i'm in no way, shape, or form, a programmer, so i'm quite likely to miss something obvious.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The client_templates_get_all returns the result of this sql query according to the code:

"SELECT * FROM client_template"

and all client templates, master templates and additional templates, are stored in this database table, the template type is defined in column template_type of the returned dara. So the function returns additional templates too.

3. till

Did they develop it more than 10 years ago and did not maintain it since then? ISPConfig 2 does not exist anymore for about 10 years now.

4. nhybgtvfr

i don't know how it's been maintained, i know there isn't much documentation about it, and that mentions ispconfig 2.
    i don't know if that actually means ispconfig 2 or v2 of the hostbill plugin itself, but looking at some of the documentation that does exist i get the impression it was developed for ispconfig 2, or at best 3.0.*
    adding a website/domain in hostbill with this plugin does nothing about putting anything in the domains table in ispconfig, and i always have the domain module in client limits enabled, and there was a screenshot i can't currently find, showing some function that i believe was dropped before the release of ispconfig 3.0.5.

i did point the ticket support at hostbill to howtoforge.com, stating that the ispconfig dev's are active on here, but i don't know if they passed that info onto their own dev team.

till likes this.
  5. atle

atle Member HowtoForge Supporter

OT here, but I am looking at HB as an alternative to Whmcs. With HB, is it possible to develop your own ispconfig module, or does HB not support that, that is, it is not possible to develop your own modules to HB?

6. nhybgtvfr

hostbill has it's own api, so i see no reason why you can't develop your own module.
    also if you want something specific, you can ask them and they will quote a price for developing it for you.
    but since they already have an ispconfig plugin, it seems to me the simplest option is to get them to update it themselves so it works properly with the latest releases.
    after that, then it might be worth looking at doing our own development on it, as at the moment i don't see any way of setting / changing actual dns records from within hostbill, and getting those applied in ispconfig. ( i believe a dns template can be applied at zone creation)

also at the moment, like the whmcs / ispconfig plugin, the hostbill one also creates a completely separate ispconfig user for every website/domain. not what we want really, makes it impossible to create aliasdomains. i'd prefer all domains/websites for a single customer to belong to a single user in both hostbill/whmcs and in ispconfig.
    they state it's so that each individual service can be suspended/disabled on non-payment of invoices.
    i think that can be done even under a single user - multiwebsite ispconfig account. we can mark websites/mailboxes as inactive, mark dns zones/records as inactive, or mark the account as inactive and block everything.
    this would need some changes in ispconfig, at the moment, if admin marks a website as inactive, the client can log into the interface and re-enable it. might need something developed like the client protection on the active/inactive settings so that something set inactive by admin can't be overridden by the client.

would be interesting to know how many ispconfig setups allow multiple websites / maildomains per client login and how many insist on a new client login account for each separate website/maildomain. that info might be useful to convince whmcs/hostbill to switch their 1 ispconfig website per client limitation.....

7. till

I guess the only reason that HostBill implemented it like this is that some other widely used commercial panels have a limited functionality and do not support it to have multiple websites or domains under one customer login. I guess no customer ever wants more logins than needed. Do you really think that a customer which has 20 domains wants to log in with 20 different usernames and passwords to ispconfig to manage his domains when he can simply do that with a single login? Have a look at the industry leaders Google and Amazon and Microsoft, do you need a separate login for each service or server, or domain that you host in their datacenters? No, you have a single login there as well.