Little Confusion I think with my DNS

Discussion in 'General' started by abndrew82, Jan 14, 2008.

1. abndrew82

abndrew82 New Member

Ok, when I enter a domain I have set on my Server of

Sennfamilyconnection.com without the www

I get the page that mentions shared IP

When I enter the address www.sennfamilyconnection.com

I get a page cannot be found error

I am confused on what is causing this.

I also have a subdomain of Samantha.sennfamilyconnection.com which appears to work fine it points to its own sub folder'

Not sure what you will need to see to be able to troubleshoot but here are some outputs from my DNS records

Attached are the DNS record for the Samantha.sennfamilyconnection.com and the one for just sennfamilyconnection.com

Also I attached the named.conf file as a text

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am considering doing a complete reinstall as I made a few mistakes while setting up the server and it is on VMware so easy to redo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. catdude

catdude New Member

When I do lookups for sennfamilyconnection.com and for samantha.sennfamilyconnection, I get 192.168 addresses. You will want for DNS queries to return the external IP address of your ISPConfig machine, then set up your router to forward port 80 requests to the 192.168 address.

www.sennfamilyconnection.com returns 71.77.137.147; is this your external IP address? I assume so, since that's also the IP address contained in your NS records. When I browse to that address I also get the "shared IP" message. Have you reviewed your /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf file to verify that the cirtual host records are set up properly?

3. abndrew82

abndrew82 New Member

I will check the vhosts files now to see if that is the problem.

And yes, the 71.77.137.147 is my IP from my ISP

I wasnt thinking it was an issue having the samantha.sennfamilyconnection shwoing the 192, as it was at least working and bringing up the page

But I will check into that

my main confusion was that when I did www.sennfamilyconnection.com I got a page cannot be found, maybe it just hadnt updated cause now I am seeing it coming up with the shared IP same as just sennfamilyconnection.com

Thanks for the reply, and I will check that file.

4. catdude

catdude New Member

The reason the samantha page would be working for you is that you're on the inside of your network. The 192.168 address won't be accessable for anyone on the outside of your router.

5. abndrew82

abndrew82 New Member

Ok I think I may see somewhat where my mistake is

When I set the server up I.E. installing Ubuntu on it and setting up ispconfig

I made the server name sennfamilyconnection.com I think

I have attached a copy of the vhosts file and I see there is no listing for sennfamilyconnection.com by itself I am thinking this is cause it is the main area.

I know when I try to create a site with that address in the ISPConfig panel I get that it already exists.

Is that the reason, and I guess from looking also if I wanted to fix it so that site would be viewable, for a short fix, I could just edit in the Vhosts file where it has for the localhost stuff

Or am I wrong on that

Attached Files:

6. catdude

catdude New Member

Is samantha configured as a co-domain?

FYI, I added
    71.77.137.147 samantha.sennfamilyconnection.com
    to my /etc/hosts file and browsed to samantha.sennfamilyconnection.com; it produced your ISPConfig default page (it works!). If you adjust your DNS setup so that samantha returns your external IP address, the samantha virtual host will be working.

I see that you've got two "NameVirtualHost 71.77.137.147:80" sections. I'm not sure why ISPConfig would write that twice. Till or Falko, would that a problem with his configuration?

I'm pretty sure taht you should have a section that looks like:
    <VirtualHost <your internal IP>:80>
    ServerName www.sennfamilyconnection.com:80
    in there somewhere. This would be automatically generated by ISPConfig, so I'd suggest reviewing your settings for that domain.

7. abndrew82

abndrew82 New Member

I see what you are saying there, and I had thought there would be a section for just sennfamilyconnection also.

And what confuses me, is that as you said with the samantha.sennfamilyconnection.com

It is working from the outside for me too

I am actually at work at the moment and testing them, so even though I figured it wouldnt work with that Internal IP there it does from the outside for me also, I am not sure if this is because of ISPConfig having the internal IP saved in it

or

Since I am using VMWare, it has the Address for that Virtual Machine bridged to my actual connection so that it accesses the internet.

Now with what you said there, if I go under ispconfig and go to the ISP manager then click the site for Samantha

And change the IP Address: in the drop down box to my external 71.77.137.147 I stop getting the site, I now get the shared IP section.

It seems it only goes to the site if I specify the internal 192.168.1.155, which I read something, about if NAT and using the internal for this, which is why I had it set that way

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The internal IP address is fine if your server is behind a router but the dns record for the domain has to point to your external IP address. The last step is that you forward port 80 and all other ports that shall be accessible from outside from your router to your internal server IP.