Live MySQL Replication/Backup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by v2k, Oct 8, 2009.

1. v2k

v2k New Member

I have a server running innodb. It's about 40G in size. It's getting hit with reads and writes pretty often. I'd like to minimize its downtime. I'm looking at ways to avoid taking it down and running mysqldump on a regular basis.

As discussed here:
    mysql_database_replication

1. My basic plan was to sort out replication and back up the slave's database. From what I've read online, there seems to be some school of thought that replication is not reliable enough. i.e. the slave and master will drift and the data will not be restored properly in the case of losing the master. Is this a valid concern?

2. Is it feasible to setup this plan on a single server running two mysqlds and replicating itself on localhost? I would then copy the backups to a remote or external drive.

3. Perhaps I can take some shortcuts in my case. Let's say I'm not concened about the data being exact. If I have 1 billion rows, I want to backup everything, but I'm only really concerned about the last 100k rows say as they are currently most active. That is, the older rows are unlikely to change; and even if they did vary slightly, that would be okay. Is it feasible to have a script that would passively dump rows bit by bit in the background and rebuild the database slowly over time? Perhaps dumping 100 rows every 5 minutes say until the whole database was parsed for example.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. v2k

v2k New Member

Do you think you could explain how to do this to the same host? Run two mysqlds and have the master and slave on the same machine?

4. v2k

v2k New Member

Actually, nevermind. I'm just going to setup another machine as the slave.

The first problem I encountered was this:
    /usr/libexec/mysqld: File '/var/log/mysql-bin.index' not found (Errcode: 13)
    091011 22:59:21 [ERROR] Aborting

I changed:
    log-bin to /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log (rather than /var/log/mysql/ which I misread the guide as)
    and gave mysql permissions to /var/log/mysql

The alternative could be to use /var/lib/mysql...

5. v2k

v2k New Member

I just noticed these comments on the howto; I'm running InnoDB, is this correct?

6. v2k

v2k New Member

I setup the master with those additional innodb settings.

My data files now look something like this:
    Code:
    4.0K mysql-bin.000001
    4.0K mysql-bin.000002
    4.0K mysql-bin.000003
    4.0K mysql-bin.000004
     68K mysql-bin.000005
    4.0K mysql-bin.index
    mysql-bin.000005 seems to be the only file growing. The index file isnt changing size.

Here's my my.cnf:

Code:
    [mysqld]
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    user=mysql
    old_passwords=1
    max_connections=500
    query-cache-type = 1
    query-cache-size = 128M
    set-variable=long_query_time=2
    log-slow-queries=/var/log/log-slow-mysql.log

# lines below setup logging for master
    binlog-do-db=db4120
    server-id=1
    innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1
    #innodb_safe_binlog
    sync-binlog = 1
    log-bin = /var/lib/mysql/mysql-bin
    log-bin-index = /var/lib/mysql/mysql-bin.index

[mysqld_safe]
    log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
    pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

7. v2k

v2k New Member

I've followed the howto; have the db imported into the slave, but I'm having trouble getting the slave to connect to the master. I don't have iptables running on the master. I added:
    ALL: 10.0.0.103

to the masters's hosts.allow.

Here's the error I'm seeing:

It also won't let me log into phpMyAdmin on the slave, reporting:

I assume this is the problem:

Is there something I need to do to tell 10.0.0.111 to listen on 3306? I don't have skip-networking set...

8. v2k

v2k New Member

I can ssh from each box to the other. I'm not sure why mysql won't connect. Any ideas?

9. v2k

v2k New Member

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot... apparently iptables WAS running :(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  10. v2k

v2k New Member

Okay, so it now connects fine, but I get some errors.

The filenames and position numbers look correct:

This sounds like an innodb issue... more digging...

11. v2k

v2k New Member

I can't seem to get the slave to start with innodb; those errors kill it.

Here's the my.cnf on the slave:

http://pastie.org/657206

12. v2k

v2k New Member

13. v2k

v2k New Member

I copied over the .frm files from the master to the slave, but it's still failing saying they have incorrect information. The file it's complaining about is the same on master and slave.. and has not changed on the master since I did the mysqldump.

Copying the frm files also makes phpMyAdmin unable to load the database proberly, so I'm guessing this isn't the correct path...

14. v2k

v2k New Member

I ended up dropping the slave's db and reimporting the dump file. It worked this time. I'm not sure what changed since the first attempt as I tried so many things.

15. v2k

v2k New Member

So I was forced to upgrade the slave server. Unfortunately, this broke my replication. I'm not sure how to get this going again without starting over from scratch:

Code:
    100602 23:43:07  mysqld started
    100602 23:43:07 [Warning] The syntax 'for replication startup options' is deprecated and will be removed in MySQL 6.0. Please use 'CHANGE MASTER' instead.
    /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist
    100602 23:43:07 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.
    InnoDB: Error: log file /usr/local/mysql/var/ib_logfile0 is of different size 0 5242880 bytes
    InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 0 16777216 bytes!
    100602 23:43:07 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' init function returned error.
    100602 23:43:07 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.
    100602 23:43:07 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: unknown option '--skip-bdb'
    100602 23:43:07 [ERROR] Aborting

100602 23:43:07 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

100602 23:43:07  mysqld ended

I tried running upgrade as it says:
    Code:
    [/usr/local/mysql] # ./bin/mysql_upgrade
    Looking for 'mysql' as: ./bin/mysql
    Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: ./bin/mysqlcheck
    Running 'mysqlcheck' with connection arguments: '--port=3306' '--socket=/tmp/mysql.sock'
    ./bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to connect
    FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

I can't run the server because it needs to upgrade, and I can't upgrade because it needs to run the server... hrm.

16. v2k

v2k New Member

I found a thread about removing the ib_logfiles. I backed these up and tried this. This brings the server online, but I'm not sure yet if it's replicating:

Code:
    100603 00:16:39  mysqld started
    100603  0:16:39 [Warning] The syntax 'for replication startup options' is deprecated and will be removed in MySQL 6.0. Please use 'CHANGE MASTER' instead.
    /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.
    100603  0:16:39  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 5 400666124
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
    100603  0:16:39 [Warning] Neither --relay-log nor --relay-log-index were used; so replication may break when this MySQL server acts as a slave and has his hostname changed!! Please use '--relay-log=VaHBoMM-relay-bin' to avoid this problem.
    100603  0:16:39 [Note] Slave SQL thread initialized, starting replication in log 'mysql-bin.000328' at position 158108412, relay log './VaHBoMM-relay-bin.000626' position: 812320
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Error in Log_event::read_log_event(): 'Event too small', data_len: 0, event_type: 0
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Error reading relay log event: slave SQL thread aborted because of I/O error
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Slave SQL: Relay log read failure: Could not parse relay log event entry. The possible reasons are: the master's binary log is corrupted (you can check this by running 'mysqlbinlog' on the binary log), the slave's relay log is corrupted (you can check this by running 'mysqlbinlog' on the relay log), a network problem, or a bug in the master's or slave's MySQL code. If you want to check the master's binary log or slave's relay log, you will be able to know their names by issuing 'SHOW SLAVE STATUS' on this slave. Error_code: 1594
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Error running query, slave SQL thread aborted. Fix the problem, and restart the slave SQL thread with "SLAVE START". We stopped at log 'mysql-bin.000328' position 158108412
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Column count of mysql.db is wrong. Expected 22, found 20. Created with MySQL 50037, now running 50136. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error.
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] mysql.user has no `Event_priv` column at position 29
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.event
    100603  0:16:39 [ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler.
    100603  0:16:39 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: '5.1.36-log'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  Source distribution
    100603  0:16:39 [Note] Slave I/O thread: connected to master '[email protected]:3306',replication started in log 'mysql-bin.000331' at position 238320516

given what SHOW SLAVE STATUS is returning, I'm guess it's still offline.

17. v2k

v2k New Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  18. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If I was you, I'd set up replication from scratch again - I think it's safer.

19. v2k

v2k New Member

Yes, that's probably best. I have no idea what the state of the data on the slave is now really. After skipping about 10 corrupted bits of logs, it eventually ran clean for the remainder of the replication and is now working.