LMTP sporadically twice

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by w3bservice, Nov 13, 2022.

1. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

I have a problem with DOVECOT/LMTP. Emails appear sporadically twice in the mailbox. In different maildomains and mailusers. The mailusers have no quota, forwarding or copy in the mailbox settings

RockyLinux 8
    Postfix 3.7.3
    Dovecot 2.3.16
    Webconfig ISP-Config 3.2.8 p2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What shows mail log for the messages that appear twice?

3. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

lexmark-mail.txt is the log
    i didn't see anything, doesn't say there's something there and i don't see it.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I have been experiencing a similar issue like this, do you have a mirrored setup for email?

Does this happen with all emails? Or just ones that you move to a separate folder immediately?

5. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

What do you mean by mirrored setup?
    Leg it does not happen with all mails, sporadically. Sometimes 5 mails on 50 accounts. Not limited to one account. There are days when nothing happens at all. It doesn't look like a system, it looks random.

6. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do you have a ISPConfig Multiserver setup with 2 or more mailservers, and are these servers mirrored?

7. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

No, not mirrored.
    The construct of my servers is a bit strange, I have a web server without mail with ISP config and I have a mail server with some webs with ISP config. Background was that a few customers have degraded the web server to the spam slinger and I then in a night and fog action the mail server with another IP have set up again.

8. pyte

Do the mails that are duplicate, have the same date/header information?
    Can you grep a recipient in the mail.log where the issue occures and check for the line that says "saved to INBOX" for the specifid mail. Does it appear twice in the mail.log?

Are these mails duplicated in the vmail home of the user? If so can you post the headers of both of the mails (make sure to censor sensitive data).

9. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

The mail appear several times in the log

Attached Files:

10. pyte

But these are all fail2ban notifications from localhost?
    Does the problem happen with mails coming from an external mailserver? Or does this only happen with local mails? Are we exclusivly talking about fail2ban notifications, or is this just an example?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  11. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

This is just an example that is extremely good, yes it also concerns external servers, but since the mails are only accepted once, I guess it is lmtp or dovecot.

12. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

Here is an example for external server, with log and header

Attached Files:

13. pyte

There seems to be an error with your milter.

Code:
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: report connect to all milters
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: milter8_connect: non-protocol events for protocol version 6:
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: milter8_connect: transport=inet endpoint=localhost:8891
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: trying... [::1]
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: Connection refused
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: trying... [127.0.0.1]
    This happens over and over again, and can be the cause of the multiple mails. Check your milter and the configuration. If you use rspamd, make sure to check that redis is working correctly too, as this can often be a cause of rspamd not working correctly.

But there are some other curios things:
    Code:
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: SSL_accept error from m204-227.eu.mailgun.net[161.38.204.227]: -1
    Nov 16 10:20:24 w3bserversystem-three postfix/smtpd[1168548]: warning: TLS library problem: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate:ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:1544:SSL alert number 42:

So there seems to be an error with amavis too which you should check:

Code:
    Nov 16 10:20:41 w3bserversystem-three amavis[1100452]: (1100452-13) (!!)TROUBLE in process_request: Error writing an SMTP response to the socket: Broken pipe at (eval 81) line 1433.
    Nov 16 10:20:41 w3bserversystem-three dovecot[2796882]: lmtp(1168792): Connect from local
    Nov 16 10:20:41 w3bserversystem-three amavis[1100452]: (1100452-13) (!)Requesting process rundown after fatal error

w3bservice likes this.
  14. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

I threw the milter out of the main.cf. so the error message was gone and strangely also the message from amavis, strange.....
    The message with the TLS library is a problem of mailgun. thx for vour help :)

I will reinstall opendkim and opendmarc and check the configs, there was an update 1 month ago, maybe what Das the culprit. Although the services did not show any error, strange.

15. pyte

Sehr gut :)

It sometimes can be quiet a pain to detect errors like this, as the service itself is working and the misconfigured part does not make the service itself fail, but misbehave and create unexpected behaviour. Glad you figured it out!

16. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

Thanks anyway, for the food for thought. Strange is however, that a Milter with "milter_protocol=6" the error should go over, the content filter amavis in the nirvana tears, strange.....very strange. So I will now still observe whether mails duplicate again, or whether the main problem has also settled.

So please keep the thread open,

Thx at all, and a fine weekend

17. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

So after a bit of testing, commented out opendkim and opendmarc from main.cf. I still have the problem that mails appear twice in the mailbox.
    Attached the logs and headers from gustini.de.

Attached Files:

18. pyte

There still seems to be an issue with amavis

Code:
    Nov 20 06:30:44 server-three amavis[2490080]: (2490080-14) Passed CLEAN {RelayedInternal}, MYNETS LOCAL [127.0.0.1] [185.4.120.53] <[email protected]> -> <[email protected]>, Message-ID: <[email protected]>, mail_id: 1HxdKO01Xjrg, Hits: 1.261, size: 60407, queued_as: 4C6CB261B4, 13595 ms
    Nov 20 06:30:44 server-three amavis[2490080]: (2490080-14) (!!)TROUBLE in process_request: Error writing an SMTP response to the socket: Broken pipe at (eval 81) line 1433.
    Nov 20 06:30:44 server-three amavis[2490080]: (2490080-14) (!)Requesting process rundown after fatal 

19. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

pyte likes this.
  20. w3bservice

w3bservice Member

Thanks for the answer. So the problem is solved since yesterday.
    1.)
    opendkim-2.11.0-0.32 has some bugs :mad:(full tit), a downgrade to opendkim-2.11.0-0.28 and eh voilà it runs again. A crashing service opendkim pulled down amavis and postfix.:eek:
    2.)
    an old recycled script started spamassassin as a service:p(GreenIT). The consequence was that if a mail was in the queue of Amavis, Spamassassin scanned the mail again, you can see it in the esmtp entries in the log.
    Conclusion :)
    a service running amok:mad: disguised and potentiated the problem with spamassassin. And above all made the search very exciting:rolleyes:. Honestly, mess Easter, this Easternegg was just better.:D

And when I'm in a good mood again, I'll have a look at the switch to rspamd and bug you guys ;):)

THX for your help

pyte and till like this.