Load Balancing On Dns Servers!!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ankit862001, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ankit862001

ankit862001 New Member

Hi,

I am building a project on load balancing and wanted to know that if i cud get any info. on how to load balance DNS Servers. If somebody cud get me practical as well as theoritical info. i wud be thankful.

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Just a question for what are you going to do that?
    In our compnay we have for ~ 120k users 3 DNS-Servers (bind9 like daemon), DHCP running on 2 and everything is working fine, not to much load etc.
    I mean the original construct on LB / "Clustering" is done on the client's resolver, but on the other hand if all users would have the same order on the DNS-Servers you will end up that one server has much more load than the other one.
    But if you want to do redundancy in any way the Balancing part must be redundant itself so the question is if it is not cheaper and as effective in just trying to manage not all clients having the same DNS Server order...

3. ankit862001

ankit862001 New Member

Actually wat i m trying to do is that i want to create 3 or 4 servers with different functionalities like DNS,FTP,Print server or some more... and then wen i get high load on any one of them then i cud transfer the load on that server to a server which has low load and can provide tat service. This is for my college project.

Ankit

4. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

well for dns and dhcp I thinks its easier to take the out of the box solutions...

but for the other things you can take a look at the HA tutorial for SMB etc or maybe here as well: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/