load is rocketing - what to do?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ovidiu, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

hello,

I just noticed my server load going way over 1
    what can I do?
    the # of processes is normal, apache processes are just fine, traffic is a little bit more than usual and my processor usage is between 0.4 and 0.6

where to look and what to do? :confused:

need some advice

###edit###
    here is the link, have a look: http://www.web-designerz.de/serverstats/

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe you get a lot of spam emails that where processed by spamassassin. If i look at your server stats that might have caused the high load.

4. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You'd probably get some information from 'top' to see what might be grabbing the resources. "netstat -ant" might give you an idea if certain services are taking alot of hits.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx for the help,

I just got this warning, I have set up mod_dosevasive and mod_security on the server and both modules are frequently catching bad guys, but this happened long after the load went down again.

I certainly hada look at top - nothing unusual to be found there, it was not an email problem I ruled that out too, it might be what falko suggested - a lot of php scripts,...

I told you in former postst (talking about squid and or mod_cache) that I am hosting a site with a huge image gallery, now the image gallery relies solely on php and mysql, they have a forum too, so I am going to test the links falko gave...

thx for the help so far.

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

after first test eaccelerator works like a charm ;-)
    lets see how it performs when all those greedy visitors with their greedy browsers come back tomorrow ;-)

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

falko can you explain this setting:
    I have set eaccelerator up so it uses disk and memory cache. mem size is set to max 32 MB - after 1 day still 9MB free in mem but disk cache is already 26MB - what is cached where??? shal I set it to mem only? I cannot aford much more than 32MB of ram...
    why is it using disk cache when there is more free memory? the stats shows it did not unload any file from cache beacuse there was enough space...

any more hints?

8. falko

I'm using the default values from the README file, they work for me. I didn't play around with the settings...

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe eaccelerator stores the files on disk and in mem cahche, to keep the compiled scripts when apache is restarted. I recommend to let the memory setting at the default, if you get good acceleration of your php scripts.

10. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well, after almost 24h I determined I can spare 32MB cache and theres a 8MB spare not used atm. I tested visiting all sites I am hosting, virtually trying to get a picture of the server serving each site on this day and its running beautiful.

@falko
    I recomment putting the eaccelerator.php somewhere accessible on the web (password protected) and have a look at how your cache is used, you might gain some improvement when changing the default setting of 16MB cache in ram (versio9n 0.94rc1) to 32 MB in my case...

Now if I only would succeed in getting mod_cache to work with my apache I would also cache the static components (images)...

11. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

hello there,

after reinstalling the server I seem not to be able to figure out how to install eaccelerator again - I just can't do it like last time....

for instance I can't remember how I activated the extension last time and which file is the web admin interface for eaccelerator...

any hints please?

12. falko

13. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

can anyone give some help installing mod_cache ? that a caching module of apache2 but it seems I can't get it to be used...