Loadbalanced High-Availability Apache Cluster

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by manurro, Apr 4, 2007.

1. manurro

manurro New Member

Hi all,

I'm building a Loadbalanced HA Apache Cluster following the HOW-TO from Falko.
    I've done everything as he explained just changing my nodenames and IP's, and it all seems to be fine, but when I start heartbeat on both loadb servers, they both become active, when they're supposed to be one active and the other on hot-standby. I've checked config files a thousand times and I can't guess what's going wrong. Below I attach my config files on load balancers.

LOADB1 & LOADB2 (as config files must be identical)

/etc/ha.d/ha.conf

Code:
    logfacility     local0
    bcast   eth0
    mcast   eth0 225.0.0.1 694 1 0
    auto_failback on
    node loadb1.mydomain.com
    node loadb2.mydomain.com
    respawn hacluster /usr/lib/heartbeat/ipfail
    apiauth ipfail gid=haclient uid=hacluster
    /etc/ha.d/haresources

Code:
    loadb1.mydomain.com ldirectord::ldirectord.cf LVSSyncDaemonSwap::master IPaddr2::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27/eth0/nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
    (Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the VIP and nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn the network address)

/etc/ha.d/ldirectord.cf

Code:
    checktimeout=10
    checkinterval=2
    autoreload=no
    logfile="local0"
    quiescent=yes

virtual=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
            real=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:80 gate
            real=zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:80 gate
            fallback=127.0.0.1:80 gate
            service=http
            request="ldirector.html"
            receive="Test Page"
            scheduler=rr
            protocol=tcp
            checktype=negotiate
    (yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy and zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz are the apache nodes)

That's the output a few seconds after I started heartbeat on both servers:

Loadb1

Code:
    # ip addr sh eth0
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:17:08:50:3e:f6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa/27 brd nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn scope global eth0
        inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27 brd nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn scope global secondary eth0
        inet6 fe80::217:8ff:fe50:3ef6/64 scope link
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    Loadb2

Code:
    # ip addr sh eth0
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:16:35:5c:f8:f4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb/27 brd nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn scope global eth0
        inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27 brd nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn scope global secondary eth0
        inet6 fe80::217:8ff:fe50:3ef6/64 scope link
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    (aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa and bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb are the adrresses for loadb1 and loadb2).

My OS is Fedora Core 5 on all servers (load balancers and apache nodes).
    Please anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance.

2. manurro

manurro New Member

OK, it was an IPTABLES issue, I should have checked that before :eek:

For those who may have same issue, adding that to iptables config file fixed my problem:
    Loadb1
    Code:
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p ip -m comment -m state -s bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb --state NEW -j ACCEPT --comment Hearbeat
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p ip -m comment -m state -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --state NEW -j ACCEPT --comment Hearbeat
    Loadb2
    Code:
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p ip -m comment -m state -s aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa --state NEW -j ACCEPT --comment Hearbeat
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p ip -m comment -m state -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --state NEW -j ACCEPT --comment Hearbeat
    (aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa is loadb1's IP, bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb loadb2's IP and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the virtual IP)

Regards!

3. pajatzo

pajatzo New Member

Virtual IP on two machines

Hi all

I’ve just completed the howto, and one thing hit me. If the two apache nodes answer to the reply on the new virtual address, what’s from stopping the network traffic to get to them directly? If I stop the ldirectord and ultra monkey on the load balancer the setup still works, I get an error the first time I load the virtual URL but the second time I get in contact with one server. Does this present some error to the setup that I haven’t understood? Is the apache nodes supposed to sit on a private network behind the load balancers? Do I need two NICs in the load balancers?

I must also say that I haven’t followed the howto exactly; I have done it with a twist you might say. The two apache nodes run FreeBSD and the NICs on those machines have there real address and an alias with the virtual address.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Nothing, the nodes can still answer on their own IP addresses.

Not necessarily. But it will be more difficult to configure a virtual IP address with public IP addresses, whereas you can do whatever you want with private IP addresses.

If you load balancers should have a public and private IP address at the same time, then yes.

5. pajatzo

pajatzo New Member

Yes but they will also answer on the virtual chared IP address, correct? They will be reachably by two adresses each.

Can you also specify if the arp... changes to the kernel on the apache nodes apply to ignore warnings about several machines on the network using the same IP, this is an error that I get on the nodes, running FreeBSD.