Local Development Server

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by ghosttr, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ghosttr

ghosttr New Member

Ive been running windows with wamp to do some work on a web project ive been working on. But windows isnt the best environment to do things on, wamp takes up alot of resources even when im not using it atm (its constantly on in the background)

I was wanting to run a centos server under windows in virtualbox. This way i would have a 'copy' of the live server to mess around with. And things would look and behave in about the same way they do on the live server.

The live server has centos 5.2 with whm/cpanel.

I tried to use the instructions provided on this site for setting up centos, but its focused around setting up something to go on the internet (security, domain names, etc)

Could we get a tutorial on how to setup a server on virtualbox for local use?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The tutorials work for both cases. What exactly is the problem that you're facing?

3. ghosttr

ghosttr New Member

Ive got centos5 install on virtual box, running via host interface. Ive also got webmin installed.

I can access webmin via the ip/portnumber. But cant seem to get anything else to work.:confused:

The hosting service i use has centos 5, with cpanel/whm. So when i do something there usually a folder in usr/name that ftp and everything else always points to. Ideally id like a similar environment

I need to know how to setup the hostname/dns stuff, I dont have access to the router at my school, but the ports arent blocked internally (i can use all of the ports between 2 computers on the same network, but some internet ports are unavailable) preferably id just access it via ip (second adapter maybe).

I also need to know how to get ftp/sql setup to work under a different user. I dont want them running as root ;).

Id also prefer to have unneeded security measures off (as its local and ill be the only one using it, and i could use the resources for better things)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You must either configure your router to forward all needed ports to your server or put your server into the DMZ.

What tutorial are you referring to (URL)?