Log files

Discussion in 'General' started by mike_p, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mike_p

mike_p Member

Why does ISPConfig3 copy log files to the database and then display them from there?

As far as I can tell, if they were read directly from the original files
    1/ they would display more recent information
    2/ it would save system resources by not having to copy them to the database every 5 minutes.

So I presume there must be some very good reason for showing them via the database. I just cant work out what that reason is!

---

Another Control panel I used to use allowed the user to view either the whole log or just the last few lines (number of lines shown could be set by user, default to 50)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. yoplait

yoplait Member

maybe to screen them into the ispconfig admin interface ?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is a miultiserver controal panel. So if you have lets say 10 servers with 1 interface server and you want to display the content of a log file of a server node, you have to use a shared medium like a database table that is accessible from all nodes incl. the interface.

4. mike_p

mike_p Member

Thanks till.

As a single server ISPConfig user it never crossed my mind.

However, as a single server user, I would like the option of turning off 'logs-via-database' because of the high resource usage. Hopefully an option in a future version? As I get more into ISPConfig, I may become brave enough to propose the exact solution (changes to existing code) myself.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is really no high resource usage as this is no "conventional" direct to database logging. ISPConfig just greps an excerpt of the last log lines every five minutes. You will not see a difference in your server load if you disable it and in the database it uses just a few hundred kilobytes of storage.