Logging actions performed in ispconfig

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ronee, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ronee

ronee Member HowtoForge Supporter

Dear All,

Question here regarding an audit log for actions performed within ispconfig. Version 2 of ispconfig had such a log but I have been unable to find any info on such in version 3.

This would be extremely useful in some situations, would be interested in options or how this could be enabled/implemented.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. ronee

Thanks Till,

That is not quite what I'm looking for. I am hoping for an audit log that provides a record of changes made within ispconfig by users and the admin, modifications, objects deleted, etc., is that possible?

4. till

The debug log level contains all actions that were made by any client user, reseller or admin in ispconfig. It is even more detailed then the log from ispconfig 2.

5. ronee

Ah, excellent, thanks I was looking within the ispconfig interface and not seeing what I was looking for but perhaps the items had scrolled by already, now I found the log file in /var/log/ispconfig

Thanks very much for the quick response!

6. ronee

Sorry I spoke to soon, at least in part.

Two critical items missing from the log as far as I can tell, the user that performed the change and the user's IP.

I am guessing there might be a way to correlate the approximate time of a given change with an entry in the apache access log that perhaps might show an IP but we have a need to at times conclusively show which user performed a specific action.

Any way to configure this log to contain this info?

Thanks

7. till

The username of the user that changed a item is stored in the sys_datalog table for 30 days. The ip addresses and usernames of logged in users are stored in the ispconfig auth log.

8. ronee

Thanks Till, that is exactly the info I was looking for, one other question, the auth.log at least in this one case only goes back a couple of weeks, is there some sort of expiry that occurs with this log and if so how may we maintain it as a continuous record in case the information is needed?