Long domain names

Discussion in 'General' started by cryptic, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cryptic

cryptic Member

I have a site that I'm moving to ISPConfig with a 29-character domain name. How can I create this domain in ISPConfig?

I understand there is some sort of naming limit, so that when I tried to create the site, the domain was cut off and I couldn't set any user names.

Perhaps I will need to create the site with a shortened version of the domain, and then make manual virtual site entries in httpd.conf.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The limit for domain names in ISPCionfig is currently 255 chars.

3. cryptic

cryptic Member

Is this true for v2.2.9 ? Or, will I have to upgrade to 2.2.11 ?

4. till

Thats true for 2.2.9 too. You can check the database field length, its 255 and in the regex there should be no other lenght limit.

5. cryptic

cryptic Member

I see. But I use [DOMAIN]_ for my prefix and it doesnt look like I can have a username longer than 32 characters which leaves me no space to create a user name.

6. till

Ahh, ok :) Thats something else. Not all linux distributions support usernames longer then 32 Chars, thats why we dont use this prefix by default.

Please change the field user_username in the table isp_isp_domain to varchar 64 or even 255.

You may also have to edit the max length in the username regex in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/plugins/ispconfig_username.plugin.php, but I'am not sure if this is nescessary.

7. cryptic

cryptic Member

It doesnt look like I have this field;

> select user_username from isp_isp_domain;
    ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'user_username' in 'field list'

8. till

I'am sorry the database table is isp_isp_user and not isp_isp_domain.

9. cryptic

cryptic Member

I made the changes and that worked, thanks!

BTW, the php file is located under /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/plugins/isp_username.plugin.php

10. cryptic

cryptic Member

After an ISPConfig upgrade, the database is reverted back to 32 characters for the user name and all my sites with long domains have their user names shortened now. (Which breaks user email obviously)

How can I fix this?

11. till

Backup the current ISPConfig database and restore a backup with long usernames and domains. ISPConfig creates a backup during update, the backup sql dump is in your /tmp directory.

12. cryptic

cryptic Member

Thanks till. Won't that cause some issues or missing new features if I revert a 2.2.15 db to the one I was using with 2.2.14? Or is db solely for sites, usernames and other site data ?

13. till

The databases from 2.2.14 and 2.2.15 are compatible, so this should not cause any problems.

14. vulfs

vulfs New Member

PROFTPD error on long domainnames/user

Hello

Found this post. Help solve the username on long domain names.
    But not on proftpd

Have a domain christians-sogns-kirkegaard.dk

if I make a user like christians-sogns-kirkegaard.dk-test (use [DOMAIN]- prefix) and mark as ftp then ftp ie winscp wont accept user/pasword.

In the logfile (messages) it says PAM(christians-sogns-kirkegaard.dk-test): Authentication failure.
    same if i try WEB-FTP

Any surgestions?

Have used perfect centos 5

15. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you try an FTP client such as FileZilla?

16. vulfs

vulfs New Member

Tried look below.
    I know its danish lang but you know the errorcodes:

Respons: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0a Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [89.184.154.53]
    Kommando: USER christians-sogns-kirkegaard.dk-test
    Respons: 331 Password required for christians-sogns-kirkegaard.dk-test.
    Kommando: PASS ****
    Respons: 530 Login incorrect.
    Fejl: Kunne ikke forbinde til server
    :mad:

the old pass was test.. then i tried to change it to a new six digits password..
    now all clients works??:confused:

17. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That's strange... Do you always get the login errors when you use a four letter password?

18. vulfs

vulfs New Member

nope, just this one.

But have checked with the owner of the domain.

His original ftp user couldnt connect even after I could with the test user. Then I made him delete his user and make the the user again.
    Then he could connect.
    So maybe it had some thing to do wtih users made before I changed from 32 to 64 digits.
    Can't think of anything else..:confused: