Looking at moving to ISPConfig 3, have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'General' started by LaxSlash1993, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LaxSlash1993

LaxSlash1993 New Member

Hi all, I'm looking into switching over to ISPConfig from Sentora due to Sentora's lack of support for clustering DNS Servers, or any servers in general for that matter - along with it taking too long to hear back about a support question from them.

I'm liking what I see so far about ISPConfig, but have two general questions regarding it:

- Can I disable the SpamAssassin and Clam AV that ship with the panel and use ClamAV and SpamAssassin through MailScanner instead? MailScanner is something that I used with Sentora that I loved, and is a key thing that I need.

- I'm running on an OpenVZ VPS. If my host enables second-level quotas for both the user and the group, is there anything else that they need to do/needs to be done for using ISPConfig 3 as developed/designed?

Thanks.

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can try to use Mailscanner. But i don´t think that this will work "out-of-the-box". Ispconfig configures postfix to use amavis as a content_scanner and the spam-scores for amavis are stores in the database. I´m not sure what feature you are missing.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Second level quota should be enough.

4. LaxSlash1993

LaxSlash1993 New Member

One of the things that I did with it was I could allow certain domains to set up/have disclaimers on their e-mails using the Clean Signature ruleset. Another feature that I had liked was the option to install MailWatch to have quarantines where users could go in and manually release spam e-mail that was blocked by SpamAssassin in the case of false positives. If Amavis has this too, then I'm probably okay with switching to using it.

But now say that I did want to use MailScanner instead. Would it be a lot of work to switch the system over? Or just a matter of commenting out/changing those two settings? Also asking this because i've never dealt with a hosting panel that had the option to turn off/disable SpamAssassin/ClamAV built into it, so sorry if this is a seemingly stupid question - but how do those options work exactly? Does it bypass the Postfix options content_scanner and spam-score directly, or does it just tell ClamAV and SpamAssassin do not scan (if that makes sense what I'm asking)?

Awesome. I submitted a ticket to my host to enable a few days back when I was looking at this panel.... it got escalated, but I guess that they're looking into seeing if there's any security issues with enabling it (I know, I know).

Thanks for the responses so far. ISPConfig 3 looks to be my number one choice, just want to look at a couple more things.

5. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

To use disclaimers you have to add it by yourself. But you can add it as a feature-reguest to the bugtracker.

You can set various "spam-level" / policies and move spam-mails to a seperate folder for every mailbox.

The mails are scanned by amavis using spamassasin and clamav. If a mail is marked as spam depends on the spam-settings for the domain or the mailbox. You can disable spam-detection or set different spam/kill-level.