Lost all access to vps after install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Median, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Median

Median New Member

Hi.

Hoping someone can help. I successfully installed ISPConfig on my vps and was able to log in and set up a resller account for myself successfully. Something happened (I have no idea what) and I lost connection.

Since then I have been unable to access my vps by domain name or ip address by any means - I have tried http, ftp, sftp and ssh all without success.

I can still access the main vps control panel and put the vps into repair mode and if I do so I can then access the server via ssh. Rebooting then causes everything to be inaccessible again.

Anyone help at all please? Thanks in advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you enabled the firewall. You will have to change the bastille configuration script to make it compatible with vp servers.

In virtouzzo servers, the network cards are named "venet0" and not eth0. To configure the firewall, edit the files:

/etc/Bastille/bastille-firewall.cfg
    /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/bastille-firewall.cfg.master

change the line:

Code:
    PUBLIC_IFACES="eth+ ppp+ slip+"
    to:

Code:
    PUBLIC_IFACES="eth+ ppp+ slip+ venet+"
    Then restart your vps. If your vps is not virtouzzo you will have to check with the command "ifconfig" what the name of your network interface is.

3. Median

Median New Member

Hi Till.
    Thanks for the quick response. You are right, I do now remember enabling firewall just before it all went wrong!

Unfortunately, I have made the changes you suggest and still have the same symptoms. As I cannot get into the vps via ssh I can't even run the uninstall script!!! Any more suggestions please?

Thanks a lot

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the output of the command:

ifconfig

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think the best for now is to disable the firewall at boot time so you get access to your VPS again. Edit the file /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/firewall.php and change

PHP:
    if($dienst["dienst_firewall_status"] != "off"){

$mod->system->daemon_init("bastille-firewall""restart");
    } else {
      if(
    is_file("/var/lock/subsys/bastille-firewall")) $mod->system->daemon_init("bastille-firewall""stop");
    }
    to

PHP:
    /*
    if($dienst["dienst_firewall_status"] != "off"){
      $mod->system->daemon_init("bastille-firewall", "restart");
    } else {
      if(is_file("/var/lock/subsys/bastille-firewall")) $mod->system->daemon_init("bastille-firewall", "stop");
    }
    */
    Then reboot your VPS.

6. Median

Median New Member

[root@mpcomms root]# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

venet0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 P-t-P:127.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:105 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:11060 (10.8 Kb) TX bytes:46792 (45.6 Kb)

venet0:0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    inet addr:85.8.132.100 P-t-P:85.8.132.100 Bcast:85.8.132.100 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:105 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:11060 (10.8 Kb) TX bytes:46792 (45.6 Kb)

7. Median

Median New Member

Hi Falko

Made the changes and rebooted but still have exactly the same symptoms. I have scrapped the server and reinstalled ISPConfig on a new one and I have everything working perfectly.

Thanks for your help on this one guys. I dont know how long it will take for my ISP to recycle the old vps but as long as its there Im happy to try anything else just so that its documented for other users who may suffer the same fate.

Thanks again. You guys, and ISPConfig, ROCK!!!