mail bouncing back

Discussion in 'General' started by jcombs_31, Feb 13, 2010.

1. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

I had a user complain that emails having been received so I checked the mail logs and I noticed that cox.net and bellsouth.net are rejecting mail from my server.

Cox.net gives me this info from the error code

But I used the DNS wizard and I have both A and MX records for the domain. I get a similar issue with bellsouth.

I did a check and reverse DNS reports correctly. Not sure where to go with this. Any advice?

edit
    -----

I did some more testing and sent a message from squirrel main on the server which went through fine. So, something is going on with the PHP mail headers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please check that your MX records are ok. You can check it as follows:
    Code:
    dig mx yourdomain.com

3. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

I get the following:

I'm not sure why it's failing, I show the mx records in the DNS tab for the domain.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. falko

Is your DNS server authoritative for the domain? You can find that out by running
    Code:
    dig ns yourdomain.com

5. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

I get the same servfail message.

This was originally set up with my main domain, which the registrar is godaddy. I set up records for ns1 and ns2 to this IP address and then set my this domain to use those nameservers.

6. falko

7. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

Hi Falko, Not sure I completely follow. The first part of the tutorial says that it shouldn't be necessary if I used the godaddy tutorial it points to.

Here is what I have. A single VPS with IP address 1.2.3.4 using ISPconfig3.

A domain registered through godaddy that we'll call domain1.com.

For domain1.com I've set up records for ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com that that both point to 1.2.3.4 (I know this is not recommended but it is what it is right now). This is done through godaddy's domain manager.

Then I configured the nameservers for domain1.com to point to ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain2.com.

If I use dig for any ns or mx records on domain1.com I have no problems.

Now I've set up domain2.com which is also registered through godaddy. I set the nameservers to ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com and this resolves fine, you can ping and navigate to the website on my VPS.

But with this domain I can't get any info with dig about the ns or mx records.

I'm not exactly sure with this setup how and where I set up the "glue" record. In the nameservers section for the domain there is only an option for the hostname, not the IP address of the nameservers.

8. falko

If you use the domain1.com nameservers for domain2.com, you don't need glue records - these are only needed, if you host domain1.com on the domain1.com nameservers.

What errors does www.intodns.com give you for domain2.com?

9. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

No errors, just 2 warnings:

Different subnets WARNING: Not all of your nameservers are in different subnets

Different autonomous systems WARNING: Single point of failure

10. fathertime

fathertime New Member

maybe some help ...

I was getting bounced back messages.

I need to make sure that the "outgoing mail server" checkbox for "requires authentication" was checked, and then used the same as incoming mail.

my error was 5.7.1 or something along that line.

Just a suggestion. I hope that helps.