Mail client problem

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by christian.perego, Oct 27, 2022.

1. christian.perego

christian.perego Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I upgraded succesfully from debian 9 with ispconfig 3.2.8p2 to debian 10. The upgrade went well but it is no more possible access to the mail using an external client (thunderbird,outlook....). If I use webmail the mail works perfectly. Where should I verify the missing configuration?
    Thank you!
    Christian

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you run an ispconfig update with reconfigure services = yes after the Debian dist upgrade?

3. christian.perego

Yes, I run a ispconfig update --force (because I've already had the newest version) with a reconfigure service yes. Probably I made a mistake ansering YES at "Create new ISPConfig SSL certificate". The default was NO but I choose YES

4. till

Check mail.log to see whcih exact error message you get when the external mail client connects.

5. christian.perego

dovecot: imap-login: Error: Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't load DH parameters: error:1408518A:SSL routines:ssl3_ctx_ctrl:dh key too small
    dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: TLS initialization failed. (no auth attempts in 1 secs): user=<>

6. till

Seems as if the old dh params file from Debian 9 is using a key that is too small for the dovecot version that you use now. try this:

Code:
    curl https://ssl-config.mozilla.org/ffdhe4096.txt > /etc/dovecot/dh.pem
    service dovecot restart

7. christian.perego

8. christian.perego

9. christian.perego

My server has been upgraded from 3.1 and probably the auto creation and configuration of a let's encrypt certificate didn't work correctly for some reason.
    Could I follow that guide anyway to verify where could be the problem?

10. till

No, that's an outdated guide. ISPconfig creates SSL certs by itself. Run:

ispconfig_update.sh --force

and chose to create a new SSL cert during update when the updater asks. But before you do that, ensure that the hostname of the server (which you get with the command 'hostname -f' really points to your server in DNS as let's Encrypt will try to reach your system on this hostname from internet via http to verify the SSL cert.

11. christian.perego

I run the ispconfig_update --force answering yes to create a new SSL certificate.
    My hostname -f point to the IP of the server but the certificate created is not emitted by let's encrypt and is not a trusted certificate.

12. till

Ok, in this case, LE is probably unable to access your server. See let's encrypt error FAQ for the steps to find out why LE fails to issue the cert:

https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/lets-encrypt-error-faq.74179/

the FAQ is mainly targeted to failing website certs, but the first steps also apply to LE cert issuing at the install stage.

13. christian.perego

I read the document, but I notice something strange.
    There is no logs in the file: /var/log/letsencrypt at the time I run ispconfig_update.sh --force

14. till

That's fine, all new systems use acme.sh and not certbot and cme.sh is in /root/.acme.sh/

15. christian.perego

I checked and I do not have the /root/.acme.sh/ directory on my system

16. till

Please run the following two commands and post the result:

ls -la /root/.acme.sh/
    ls -la /etc/letsencrypt/

17. christian.perego

ls -la /root/.acme.sh/
    ls: impossibile accedere a '/root/.acme.sh/': File o directory non esistente (File or directory not exists)

ls -la /etc/letsencrypt/
    totale 84
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 ott 27 03:00 .
    drwxr-xr-x 130 root root 12288 ott 31 23:19 ..
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 mag 3 2020 accounts
    drwx------ 19 root root 4096 ott 22 00:14 archive
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 20480 ott 26 03:04 csr
    drwx------ 2 root root 20480 ott 26 03:04 keys
    drwx------ 19 root root 4096 ott 22 00:14 live
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 952 lug 19 2020 options-ssl-apache.conf
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 ott 26 03:04 renewal
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 mag 2 2020 renewal-hooks
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64 lug 19 2020 .updated-options-ssl-apache-conf-digest.txt

18. till

Ok, so your system is using certbot as Let's encrypt client, that's perfectly fine.

19. christian.perego

Ok, but I still don't understand why my ispconfig installation does not have a valid certificate to use https and server connections on ftp and mail.
    I have already forced the ispconfig installation and nothing is written in the letsencrypt log during the install process as I wrote few posts ago.
    Is it correct?

20. till

Yes, that can be perfectly ok.

Run the ISPConfig update again with ispconfig_update.sh --force and choose reconfigure services during update plus choose to create a new SSL cert during update and post the whole output you got from update on the screen.