Mail configuration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by aux, Oct 14, 2006.

1. aux

aux New Member

Hi,

I found a lot of information on this forum on how to configure the mailserver correct. But it seems I am stilling missing something.

I added some screens of my current configuration on
    http://www.aukema.net/mail.doc

On the DNSreport I get this error on the "Connect to mailservers" part:
    ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!

mail.xxxxxxx.nl: The mailserver terminated the connection before the transaction was complete (state 7). This is not RFC compliant, and therefore either due to an error, or it may be the result of a non-RFC-compliant mailserver or non-RFC-compliant anti-spam program.
    mail.yyyyyy.nl: Timed out [Last data sent: [Did not connect]]

If this is a timeout problem, note that the DNS report only waits about 40 seconds for responses, so your mail *may* work fine in this case but you will need to use testing tools specifically designed for such situations to be certain.

where xxxxx is my backup server (which always gave these errors in the past) an yyyy is my own server as shown in the screenshots. It doesn't seem to listen!

The MX record part in DNSreport is:
    Your 2 MX records are:
    5 mail.yyyyyyy.nl. [TTL=86400] IP=217.xx.yy.zzz [TTL=86400] [NL]
    10 mail.xxxxxxx.nl. [TTL=86400] IP=80.xx.yy.zzz [TTL=86400] [NL]

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I would have opened it if it was a PDF document, but I don't open doc files that I don't know.

Which distribution do you use? How did you set up your mail server? Did you use any of the tutorials here on HowtoForge?