mail distribution

Discussion in 'General' started by trondhuso, May 4, 2010.

1. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

I have a client trying to sending e-mails from an Outlook Distributionlist. But it won't send.
    The client has tried to cut the list down to make it send - so it is about 70 addresses...

All I can see in the mail.log is that imapd has timed out on this client...

May 4 20:47:35 server imapd: TIMEOUT, user=xxxxxxxxx, ip=[::ffff:xx.xx.xx.xx], headers=0, body=108648, rcvd=9024, sent=2217533, time=4291
    May 4 20:47:51 server imapd: TIMEOUT, user=xxxxxxxxx, ip=[::ffff:xx.xx.xx.xx], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=4931, sent=666235, time=1821
    May 4 20:47:51 server imapd: TIMEOUT, user=xxxxxxxxx, ip=[::ffff:xx.xx.xx.xx], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=46, sent=2223, time=1821

-----

I have gotten some more feedback from the client and the error code from Outlook is
    0x800CCC0F

And from Postfix:
    554 Disabled

-----

OUTBOX_MULTIPLE_SEND=0 to OUTBOX_MULTIPLE_SEND=1

Without any luck.

-----
    Yet another update:
    1) 554 is an error code that Postfix is giving.
    2) Run postconf -d and check the default settings
    3) Find smtp_destination_recipient_limit (which is usually set to default_destination_recipient_limit
    3a) Default is 50, change this to any number that fits you... e.g. 300

Update: Still the same error message from client.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are there any Postfix errors in your mail log? You posted lines from imapd.

3. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

Hi Falko,

No, and that is what worries me. Why does Outlook report that the server sends a 554 error message when I can't find it in either syslog, mail.log, mail.err or mail.info.

Someone on #postfix on irc suggested that it could an Outlook-problem as the Windows E-mail client sometimes believes that it is more than just an e-mail client...

I have added quite a few smtpd stuff in mail.cf without any luck. When the client tries to send more than 50 e-mails things stop.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If I remember correctly, outlook is not optimized for sending a lot of emails at once as it stops to send the email as soon as there is one wrong recipient or one email gets rejected. E.g. if you specify 100 adresses as bcc or to address and the address number 30 is wrong, outlook will stop to send the whole email when it reaches address number 30. Software for mailinglists and newsletters sends emails one by one for that reason. I'am not sure if thats the problem as I faced this problem a few years ago with a rather old outlook version.

5. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

Hi Till/Falko,

The odd thing is that when he connected to google mail, he could send more than 50...

-t-

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok. Then there must be another problem indeed. Please check the mail log again if there are really no postfix errors and also ask him which exact settings he uses to send emails.