Mail Filter Failed to Delete Defined Messages

Discussion in 'General' started by giganet, Jun 4, 2009.

1. giganet

giganet New Member

Hello group...

In trying to lessen the amount of UCE making it's way to INBOXES I setup 2 simple filters in Mail Filter tab for each account in ISPConfig3 presently.

However this morning every account with a filter created that should have deleted all E-Mail with a Subject line containing ***SPAM*** failed completely.

One account saw 20 pieces of UCE which were identified as ***SPAM*** by the server in the Subject line.

In Mail -> Filters I added rules as follows: Source = Subject -> Contains -> ***SPAM***
    with Action = Delete
    Active = Checked

I think I am missing something in configuration possibly?
    Your ideas and suggestions would be great.

Thanking you in advance for your help and time.

Best Regards

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Make sure that you escaped the search string correctly, it has to be \*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*

3. giganet

giganet New Member

Hi Till

Thank you I will try escaping the special characters in the SPAM filter.

However, I do have another filter which is looking to filter out 'Increase your Salary'
    UCE with that Subject are still making their way through.

Thank you for your help very much.

Best Regards

4. jbryner

jbryner New Member

Escaping characters correctly

It seems that even with \*\*\*SPAM\*\*\* in the filter, and .Spam being the folder I created, it wont move to .Spam. they go straight through to the inbox.

Might there be something Im missing?

5. till

Please try to update to the current beta version. I use the beta on my mail server and filtering for ***SPAM*** works fine.

6. giganet

giganet New Member

Hello Til

Thank you for the reply...

I am presently running ISPConfig 3.0.1.3, I have seen there is a download for 3.0.1.4 BETA is available but I am afraid to even try the BETA version.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

7. till

Then you will have to wait for the 3.0.1.4 final if you dont ant to install the beta to fix your problem :)

8. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

Just a note - I am having the same issue.

Andy

9. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

I installed the latest beta version - mail filters still don't work.

Andy

10. till

I use the latest Bet on my mailserver and filter all emails with the mailfilters in ispconfig and they work perfectly.

11. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

Do you have an suggestions on what I should look at to try to get it working?

EDIT: I found the problem.

I was using Subject->Begins With - the regexp created by ISPConfig for "Begins With" is:
    Code:
    ### BEGIN FILTER_ID:1
    if (/^Subject:\*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*/:h)
    {
    exception {
    to /dev/null
    }
    }
    ### END FILTER_ID:1

That will never be true, since there is always a space after header fields, in this case "Subject:". When a space is added between "Subject:" and the pattern, "Begins With" works fine. My opinion is, this is a bug, unless I am missing something. Note that if you specify "Contains", it works fine because the regexp is correctly formatted. I did not try the other tests.

Andy

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009