mail-forward without creating system-user ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by olaus, Mar 29, 2006.

1. olaus

olaus New Member

mahlzeit,

is there a way to create an email-forwarding without creating a real system-user ? (with FTP-account and all). ISPconfig insists on a unique username so for 10 mail-forwardings i would need 10 system-users ?

ciao
    arnim

2. olaus

olaus New Member

... and what's the best way to remove those users from passwd & shadow ? they get only disabled even after emptying the trash.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, but only if the mail forwardings are forwards to 10 external email addresses.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If remove the users from passwd & shadow, the forwards stop working!

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you want to forward to 10 email addresses from just one account, you only need one user.
    You can have a look at /etc/aliases and change that file. Run
    Code:
    newaliases
    afterwards and restart Postfix.

If you want users to be removed from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, you must remove them from the recycle bin.

6. olaus

olaus New Member

but why is a system user created anyway, that could be written to postfixs virtusertable ?

my security concern is the following:
    - a customer want's a forwarding, so he creates it but doesn't give a password or user account, why should he.
    - that creates a easy guessable FTP account with webXX_ and no password
    - voila, my server is wide open to the next proftp exploits which needs a valid account

at least the subroutine adding the user to /etc/shadow should disable the password (*LK* or so ) instead of writting there the crypt-md5 of "".

i could do that, but not my customers.

so it looks like a bug, as i wrote: they're not deleted even after removing them from the recycle bin.
    they're gone from isp_isp_user, their shell is set to "/dev/null" but they are still in passwd & shadow.

ispconfig.log shows some stuff after the initial delete but only this when emptying the trash:
    Code:
    29.03.2006 - 15:58:25 => DEBUG - Herzlich Willkommen in ISPConfig!
    Hier k�nen Sie Ihre Website(s) verwalten. Bei Fragen oder Problemen
    wenden Sie sich bitte an den Serveradministrator, oder lesen Sie das
    ISPConfig-Kundenhandbuch.
    (using ispconfig 2.2.0 +XML)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You must provide a password when you create a user.

It's working for me so I guess something's wrong with your installation.

8. unnilennium

unnilennium New Member

Hello i am also interested in creating a lot of email forwarding for some client domain (about 300 for each).

It would be a greta thing to add this kind of functionality as "unlimited email forward" is something that is provided by lot of hosting service.

but the interface allow not to provide one (i mean provide a blank one) !
    and a customer will do it, even with a shell access if he is able to !

thanks
    JPP