Mail issues after ver 3.2.2

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by DylanPedro, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Hi All,

Been using ISPConfig for four years now and love the work being done.

Recently upgraded to version 3.2.2 and keep seeing the following error when email is being sent to the server:
    Code:
    550 5.1.0 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
    This is only happening when emails are being forwarded from GMail (Google Apps) for a domain I have setup there which has also been setup on ISPConfig.

My setup is a little bit unconventional and setup as follows on ISPConfig:
    Server domain = server1.serverdomain.com
    Primary Domain = examplesite.co.uk
    Primary Mailbox = mail@examplesite.co.uk

Secondary Domain= exchange.examplesite.co.uk
    Secondary Mailbox = mail@exchange.examplesite.co.uk (Ignore, not setup or needed)
    Email Alias = [email protected] -> mail@examplesite.co.uk

When email is received by @examplesite.co.uk it is handled by GMail, specifically [email protected]. Then there is a forward setup on Gmail to forward the mail to mail@exchange.examplesite.co.uk which has its MX records pointing to server1.serverdomain.com (ISPConfig Server)

Everything was working fine on Ver 3.1 (I think that was the one I was using before). Since the upgrade the server keeps complaining with the following error:
    Code:
    550 5.1.0 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
    The email address [email protected] hasn't been setup on the ISPConfig server but if it is, then the mail is rejected with the following message, so not sure what the issue is since the upgrade:
    Code:
    553 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: not logged in

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

It's a recent restriction in what is allowed by default - this would be the same scenario as a spammer making up a bogus address from one of your domains and emailing an address on another of your domains claiming to be from that bogus address - should you allow it? Probably not, but there are a lot of existing scenarios like this that are now hitting restrictions, so it becomes an issue with the 3.2.2 update.

I'm getting pretty close to having some better UI controls for this in https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/merge_requests/1390 - for the time being, you can set "smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = no" and something like 'smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch, permit_mynetworks, check_sender_access proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_sender.cf, reject_sender_login_mismatch, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unlisted_sender' would let you add '[email protected]' (in the example above) to the Postfix Whitelist (type Sender) to get going for now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  4. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Following the above worked. When a new update is released will the above changes be added to the main.cf automatically after doing an update of ISPConfig?

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Yes, those are exactly the config changes in !1390