mail password length

Discussion in 'General' started by neutrino, Jul 22, 2010.

1. neutrino

neutrino Member

Hello,

I found a little bug yesterday, I created a new mail account and entered a pretty long password, something like 20 or 21 characters.
    When I went to squirrel mail and tried to log in I had an error telling me that I entered the wrong password (while I simply copy pasted the password).

I don't know if it's squirrel mail or ispconfig, but if it's ispconfig, maybe there should be a warning if there is a password length limit.

(I changed the password to 10 characters and it worked).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am not aware of a password length limit. Have you tried the password with a different email client?

3. neutrino

neutrino Member

Mmh no, I only have squirrel mail installed, if someone else reads this and has an other mail client on his server, It would be nice if he could test this out.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a bit weird :)

4. m1_davidson

m1_davidson New Member

I'm using ISPconfig 2.3.7 and I have noticed a similar issue. I use both Outlook and Webmail. My password is about 18 characters long. Everything works fine with my 18 character password. For whatever reasons, I just though to remove a character a time - from my password - and test. To my surprise, 8 characters seem to be the max that ISPconfig requires to authenticate an email user.

Haven't had time to test the Dashboard admin account yet.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 2 and 3 are completely different software packages. What you describe here for ispconfig 2 does not apply to ispconfig 3 which supports longer passwords by default. For ispconfig 2, you can enable longer passwords in the config.inc.php file. See here for details, chapter 2.4.4:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-2.x-first-steps-p2