mail relay

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by MisterVlad, Jun 15, 2007.

1. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I have set up my mail server based on the tutorial 'Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Debian Etch) ', and and all is well! I love it! but I have a question about relaying mail externally.

You mentioned that it was already set up with ssl and you just had to connect to it and use the username and password. I cannot telnet to my server via port 25 or 465 (which is the ssl), it just times out, so is it just blocked, or not even set up to accept connections except locally?

How can i set it up? where do I look? I am stumped at the moment... I dont want to open it up to full relay access, only to those users that have email accounts.

Please help!

2. aqua

aqua New Member

are you behind a router? do you have any firewalls turned on?

port 25 is used by other mail servers which connect to your server to send you mail.

If this setup is anything like ispconfig's, only those users that have an account on your server can connect to it, and send mail from it.

3. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I have a dedicated server, that has no restrictions. As far as I know, i am not behind a router. I have a static IP address, to which my machine is set up and configure on. I have my server hosted from a dedicated hosting firm, in which i can do with it as I please.

Everything is wide open, so like i said, that is not an issue.

it is weird, becuase on ssh, i can get access no problem, but sitting from my PC, i get nothing, it just times out.

Now, on a side note... I just tried to connect to a known open smtp server (the mail server at work) and i know it is open, and wroking, yet i can't telnet to that one either on port 25. Maybe it is my ISP that is blocking it?

More investigation to follow...

--- EDIT HERE ---

I have tried it already on another computer, on another ISP, and it si fine... i guess my ISP sucks balls.