mail routing

Discussion in 'General' started by Daisy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

ok, this is probably a stupid question but... what happens to mail? I'm kinda new to linux and ISPconfig and I'm not really sure what happens to mail once it hits the system. Both ways if you don't mind. I'm using postfix and dovecot. Also the mail log format is new to me and I'd love to know how/where spamassassin is involved and all that. So, could anyone give a quick step by step on what happens to email and how each of those little checkbox thingies in mail settings affect it? Especially after it's been received?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

also, there's five mail logs. maillog, maillog.1, maillog.2, maillog.3, and maillog.4. What's that all about? Is that an ispconfig thing or a linux thing? my old exchange server kept logs by date. i.e. 01192007.log

3. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

That's a Linux 'thing'. Log's are rotated. See
    Code:
    man logrotate
    The one without a number is the most recent log, the .1 is the previous, .2 is before that, etc.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

When an email arrives, Postfix processes it and tries to deliver it to Maildir (in your case). When doing so, it calls procmail which processes the procmail recipes in the user's homedir. These recipes include SpamAssassin, ClamAV, etc. If all tests are ok, the mail is put into Maildir, from where Dovecot retrieves them when you tell your mail client to fetch emails.