Mail server (can send with relay, can't receive external)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mountain_Top, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Mountain_Top

Mountain_Top New Member

Ok redid the server, please read convo below. Have opposite issue as title now lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Where do you host that server? It might be that your provider blocks port 25 incoming and without port 25 incoming open, your server can not receive any emails.

3. Mountain_Top

Mountain_Top New Member

Yes it does block 25, but I am able to send with a sendgrid. Is there a way around this?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, or at least not without running another mail server anywhere else for the mailboxes with port 25 open to receive the emails which render your current mail server useless. I can just recommend to get a vm or root server in a datacenter that does not block ports which are required for the services that you want to host.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. Mountain_Top

Mountain_Top New Member

Okay already on it. Should I follow a partial tutorial for adding a mail server after already installing the web server?

Thank you.

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Just refer to your ISPConfig manual for multi server setup to build up and add up a mail server to your current setup. Also compare with the latest perfect server tutorial related to your OS. It should be straight forward.

7. Mountain_Top

Mountain_Top New Member

Ok. I have setup the mail server many times now, each with different errors. Finally had it sending email but could not receive email without error 5.5.0 (dns stuff, but I could see it reaching the server).

I restarted the tutorials. And have a new mail server running, now after creating the new Email domain and Mailbox in ISPConfig (with the new mail server as the server) Roundcube says "Connection to Storage server failed".

This is for any domain.

My config.inc.php (on the web server with roundcube) includes $config['default_host'] = 'mail.myserver.com'; and
    $config['smtp_server'] = 'mail.myserver.com';

Furthermore if we can fix this... should I be creating these emails such as, [email protected] (mail server) or from [email protected] (web server) or with [email protected] (CNAME example to mail.myserver.com)

8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Make sure mx records for your domains are properly setup too.

9. Mountain_Top

Mountain_Top New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I can now receive emails, but cannot send "SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed." within roundcube.
    My config.inc.php and defaults.inc.php (on the web server with roundcube) include
    Code:
    $config['default_host'] = 'mail.myserver.com';
    and
    Code:
    $config['smtp_server'] = 'mail.myserver.com';
    and
    Code:
    $config['smtp_port'] = 25;

I tried using an external client and get "TLS handshaking: SSL accept() failed:" in my mail.log

10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter