Mail Server web interface

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by fisherofer, May 6, 2010.

1. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

can i ask for web interface for the mail Q
    i have alot of mail in my server and i wish to know about a program that could to help me to control all the emails in my server

2. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

3. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

can i work with webmin and ispconfig ?

4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

If you couldn't I wouldn't have suggested webmin, don't you think? ;)

5. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

many thanks it was kind of strange to see a segestsion for webmin in ispconfig furom
    and again thanks

6. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

well i think webmin and ispconfig are 2 completely different things ... except for the web interface :)

ISPConfig is more for the, say .. junior system-, networkmanager, webmin for the senior ... no wait, a senior would just go console ;)

Webmin was the first one that came up to me that has a web interface and has postfix support. Don't recall ispconfig has this functionality.

Actually, that should be very nice, if ispconfig will get some sort of "Expert mode" which enables all these extra functionalities, like mailqueue monitoring f.e. some stuff that webmin has ;)

7. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

as you i wish to see it i love ispocnfig its easy to use and missing few items
    but i wish to see more and more in each new version

8. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

The more you're working with servers mail/web/dns/etc you'll start noticing short commings in ISPConfig. That shouldn't be negative towards ISPC, but positive towards yourself, since that means you're growing out of ISPC. I think falko and till just have this line which they don't want to cross with ISPC so they keep it easy and simple, this way the biggest group is targetted with theire program.

I still use ISPC when i need to setup a website in a non loadbalanced environment (we have a huge LB env. for big sites and some ISPC servers for small sites). because it's nice simple and works fast

9. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

i agree with you

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are quite a few differences what webmin and ispconfig 3 are made for.

The purpose of ispconfig 3 is to be a easy to use hosting control panel for multiple servers. Webmin is not a hosting control panel, its more a shell replacement or swiss knife. You can do everything with webmin as if offers all options of the controlled services, but only experiences administrators know what all these options are for and are able to use it to setup a hosting enviroment. But as I know all these options already, I use the shell.

Webmin controls only the local server, this makes it easy to e.g. execte a command to do something with the mailqueue in realtime and get the feedback in the interface. In ISPConfig 3, the interface is often not on the same system then the services that it controls. So you can not just execute a local command to do a action. Commands have to be executed remotely and also the output has to be redirected back to the interface. This all happens asynchronous to have a high fault tolerance and to enable you to shutdown a server in a cluster for a day and this server will catch up will all config changes that are relevant for him when it goes online again.