Mail Server With ASSP - any experiences?

Discussion in 'General' started by tom, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tom

tom Member

If read this howto http://www.howtoforge.com/antispam_smtp_proxy? to set up a spamproxy for postfix.

What are for experiences do you have with this solution?

Is it a "standalone" solution, I mean does it makes spamassassin unnecessary?

How is the need of ram by using this spamproxy, does it takes more than spamassassin?

It is realy more effective?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising. :)

3. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Compatible wit ISPConfig server?

Is this ASSP setup compatible with the perfect setup for Debian Sarge and ISPConfig?

I like to know this because ASSP seems to be a good anti spam solution.

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hans,

I've installed it on a "test" server running Debian Sarge with ISPconfig.
    It does look like it's working nice for now, but I do need to do some more testing 1st to make sure if it's really working a 100%

5. Hans

Hi Edge,

That's very good! :)
    When you're finished with testing, please let me know, because ASSP look really promising.

I hope you can tell me how you did it on your Debian server with ISPConfig and which steps you've made.

6. edge

Hans,

The steps done are the same as in the howto.
    One tip. MAKE SURE that in the:

[​IMG]

part you select "As a Daemin", and NOT the "As a Service" (what I did by mistake** the 1st time)
    If you do select the "As a Service", your system will hang after a reboot (it did for me!)

** I used to have a Windows 2003 server.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  7. Hans

Thanks for your advise.
    This week, i will install ASSP on my testing server too.

8. edge

The SPF Test Mode is nice :)

9. Hans

Edge,

my testing server is a Debian Sarge server with ISPConfig installed.
    I folowed the ASSP howto to the letter.
    I only installed version 1.2.6 in stead of 1.2.5.

When i want to start ASSP for the forst time i have the folowwing messages:

testing:/usr/share/assp# perl assp.pl
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Option list file './redre.txt' reloaded (redRe)
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Option list file './nodelay.txt' reloaded (noDelay)
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 ASSP version 1.2.6() (Perl 5.008004) initializing
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 File::Scan::ClamAV module not installed
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 ASSP running on server: testing.mydomain.tld
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Net::LDAP module not installed
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Net:: DNS module version 0.59 installed and available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Email::Valid module version 0.179 installed and available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Mail::SPF::Query module version 1.999001 installed and available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Mail::SRS module version 0.31 installed - Sender Rewriting Scheme available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Compress::Zlib module version 2.001 installed - HTTP compression available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Digest::MD5 module version 2.36 installed - delaying will use MD5 keys for hashes
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 File::ReadBackwards module version 1.04 installed - searching of log files enabled
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Time::HiRes module version 1.9703 installed - CPU usage statistics available
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 PerlIO::scalar module version 0.02 installed - chroot savy
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Sys::Syslog module version 0.18 installed - Unix centralized logging enabled
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Listening for mail connections at 125 and admin connections at 55555
    Dec-26-06 19:29:01 Could not find gid for group 'nobody' -- not switching effective gid -- quitting
    Could not find gid for group 'nobody' -- not switching effective gid -- quitting at assp.pl line 1760.

But the last two lines don't look so good.
    Did you also had these errors and/or do you know a solution?

10. Hans

The user nobody does not exists on the Debian server, so i did:

/usr/sbin/groupadd nobody

And:

perl assp.pl

Which is correct (i think).
    Correct me when i am wrong ;)

Now i can login at http://mydomain.tld:55555 :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  11. edge

Hans,

I did not have that problem, but on my Debian system I did have the user: nobody

ASSP does look like a nice system to use together with Postfix :)

Did you find any "big" problems?

12. Hans

It looks good to me too, but i wait with installing it on my "non-testing" servers. I want to have some experience first with it.
    No "big" problems and i have to say it looks promising.
    I must not make any mistakes, because i provide a lot of emailadresses.

13. Spudchat

Spudchat New Member

Please publish a write up when you have everything up and running. :D

I have tried multiple times, following the tutorial listed on this site, but every time it freezes on boot, even though I checked the Run as Daemon box. I can't even ssh in until I enter the web interface and hit the panic button!

Spamassassin just can't contend with the spam I've been getting lately. It's mainly images with hash busters at the bottom that would train my filters wrong if I were to run sa-learn --spam on the mails, and I've been getting more and more every day. :(

EDIT: It seems like the web interface is refusing to save the options that I enter, and upon restart, falls back to the default configuration. I'm using Debian Sarge setup following the Perfect Setup guide with ISPConfig installed and I'm using (trying to use) ASSP version 1.2.6.

14. falko

Which options exactly? Do you have screenshots?

15. Hans

@Spudchat,
    [QUOTEIt seems like the web interface is refusing to save the options that I enter, and upon restart, falls back to the default configuration. I'm using Debian Sarge setup following the Perfect Setup guide with ISPConfig installed and I'm using (trying to use) ASSP version 1.2.6.[/QUOTE]

Same problem here on my Debian Sarge testing server.
    I did not mention this yet, because i did not had time to test all.
    (I am thinking that the settings are not saved because my testing server and pc are within the same LAN).

I still have to test if the settings will be saved, when i am outside my LAN.

@Falko,
    [QUOTEWhich options exactly? Do you have screenshots?[/QUOTE]

I have no screenshots, but when i change the settings within ASSP as decibed within the howto, they are not saved indeed.

@Edge,
    Did you notice this "save" problem before.
    I mean, you run Debian too ...

16. Spudchat

Spudchat New Member

I'm sorry, but I didn't take any screenshots. It looks exactly the same as the first time I logged in, with all the options still at the default, even after I changed and saved them.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the machine is on my LAN, and I was using it's host name instead of my tld (http://hostname:55555), but even when I opened the port to the outside world and accessed it like that (http://mytld.org:55555) it didn't save my settings either.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  17. falko

But can you make screenshots so that I know at least in which areas ISPConfig refuses to save changes?

18. merlincc

merlincc New Member

Falko,

I think there is some confusion here.

I believe the spudchat is talking about the ASSP web interface as I am also experiencing the same non-saving issue as spudchat and hans.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

19. Clogboy

Clogboy New Member

I have been running ASSP for over 2 years on a Cobalt box, it did what I needed, dramatically reduce spam.

I recently switched my new servers to ISPconfig and installed ASSP on it to front-end the postfix/spamassassin combination.

I use ASSP now only to do delaying and RBL/SPF checks of email and use spamassassin to do bayesian checks. It looks like this is the perfect setup for me.

With regards to the config not being saved, please make sure that the ownership of the assp.cfg file is correct. I'm running ASSP as user mail & group mail and had to change the ownership of the files.

20. Spudchat

Spudchat New Member

merlincc, you are correct. I am referring to the settings set through the ASSP web interface.

Falko, I will take some screenshots, but I won't get around to it until the morning (I've got a hot date tonight :D).

Clogboy, so you are saying that you run ASSP as the same user and group that owns the mail process, or am I misunderstanding you? Currently, my ASSP installation runs as the user nobody.