mail settings

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cruz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. cruz

cruz New Member

I am trying to use outlook to get mail from my server. I have Debian perfect setup. What are the settings i enter in outlook?

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The username and password for the mailuser as defined within ispconfig under ISPManager > User & E-mail. For the incoming server you need to point to your FQDN or an alias (CNAME) which you have defined within the DNS-records of your ISP. For example: pop3.yourdomain.com for the incoming server and smtp.yourdomain.com for the outgoing server. If your ISP which provide you your Internet connection does not allow you to use your own smtp-server, use the smtp-server of your ISP instead. If you use your own smtp-server, use the same username/password for outgoing mail.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. cruz

cruz New Member

mail question

So I need to go to go daddy and setup a cname of pop3.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com and then it can setup any mail application to get my mail from my server from any pc on my house? I am so new to this mail stuff. Thanks for the help :D

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use any FQDN or IP address that's pointing to your server, so it's not a necessity to create pop3.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com.

5. cruz

cruz New Member

The mail is working. That is how I set it up. I used the ip address at godaddy. I just what to setup my outlook to get it from the server. Am I able to use outlook to retrive the mail from the server?

6. falko

See my last post.

Yes.

7. cruz

cruz New Member

so do I enter the FQDN or ip of the box were the smtp and pop3 go?

8. falko

It really doesn't matter...