Mail trouble

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by web-worlds, Jan 25, 2006.

1. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Hi,

I seem to have some problems with my email, I can receive emails on my ISPConfig domains/accounts but I can't send mail, it doesnt reach the
    destination, but there is also no message saying that it cant be deliverd.

Now I readed allready bunches of threads here with mail trouble but all seem very specific to their installations...

I do recall that with installing my Outlook I needed to set my outgoing SMTP
    mail server to relay.skynet.be, can it be that this is also the trouble now, and if yes where do I need to change this?

Help please ???

Web-worlds

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you set your smtp-server to relay.skynet.be in outlook ant this is not the name of your ISPConfig server, this problem has nothing to doe with your Server. Ask the owner of relay.skynet.be why you cant send emails.

If you want to send mails trough your server, you will have to set the realyhost in your postfix main.cf file.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Till and Falko,

Both thanks for replying, the question is do I NEED to use this, my provider Belgacom (Skynet) says that this (with relay.skynet.be) is the only way that I can use my off-web mail.

From Till's comment I understand that this is not true? and if not then what are the pro's and con's

I also am still not able to read my mail via i.e. outlook, I changed my POP to the IP of the domain 87.66.12.16, but I still get this:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct.

Hope I got it all :)

Kind regards,
    Web-worlds

5. till

Add this line to your /etc/postfix/main.cf to allow your server to relay trough the skynet gateway server:

Code:
    relayhost = relay.skynet.be
    To your pop3 problem:

Please dont use SSL encrypted pop3 to test your system. Disable SSL and when everything works we can checkout why SSL does not work with your outlook.

If this wont help, please post the output of:

Code:
    netstat -tap

6. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Hi Til,

The relay.skynet has been done, and that... for as far as I can see now, works, now for the outlook problem, on the advanced tab there is a possibility to switch on/off the SSL authentication, these are for both POP and SMTP off, but still I get the same errors, here is the netstat -tap output:

I hope you can figure out what is going wrong here ????

Thanks,
    Web-worlds

7. till

Ok, this looks fine so far. When you try to fetch email with op3, which errors or messages do you get in your mail logfile in the /var/log/ directory?

8. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Here is the contents of the log file, I cleared it before I made a connect so it is not cluttered with old info... :)

Thanks again fro your reply... I am so lost :)

Web worlds

9. falko

These messages are related to Postfix, not POP3. Please post POP3-related log lines.

BTW, you should replace check_relay_domains with reject_unauth_destination in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix.

10. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Hi Falko,

I this another file or still /var/log/mail where this should be ???

I mean the POP3 related log lines?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  11. till

The pop3 messages might by in var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog

12. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Hi,

In my /var/log/messages of the last 2 days I only have FTP and Cron lines, and I see that some body has been trying to get into the FTP... :rolleyes: I have about 300 lines with different user names...but that is something else...

And a syslog I can not find, I only gives me scripts named syslog???

Can it be named different ??

13. falko

The POP3 log entries should be in the same log files as the Postfix entries. Try to fetch mail from the server with POP3, and then have a look at the log file shortly afterwards. If there are no POP3 entries, then I guess you're connecting to the wrong server.

14. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Yes found it, it just takes some time for it to show up :s

Code:
    Jan 27 09:22:44 server1 pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:22:44 server1 pop3d: LOGIN, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:22:45 server1 pop3d: LOGOUT, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=26193, retr=0
    Jan 27 09:23:00 server1 pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:00 server1 pop3d: LOGIN, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:01 server1 pop3d: LOGOUT, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=23342, retr=0
    Jan 27 09:23:01 server1 pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:01 server1 pop3d: LOGIN, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:02 server1 pop3d: LOGOUT, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=15303, retr=0
    Jan 27 09:23:04 server1 pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:04 server1 pop3d: LOGIN, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 27 09:23:04 server1 pop3d: LOGOUT, user=web2_info, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=1562, retr=0
    All the time Outlook keeps telling me:

The settings I use is:

incoming mail server pop3 87.66.12.16
    outgoing mail server smtp 87.66.12.16

Both without SSL on the standard ports.

15. falko

Is it the correct IP address? If your server is behind a router, do you forward port 110 (POP3) from your router to your server?

Can you post screenshots of your Outlook configuration?

16. web-worlds

web-worlds New Member

Check IP address ---- Check
    Check router... router ?.... ROUTER :eek: SH!T SH!T SH!T completly forgot about forwarding port 110 !!!

Okay this problem is solved, MEGA THANKS to you guys!

:eek: Web-worlds