Mail users not found by Postfix when SSL used

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by counterpoint, Aug 3, 2011.

1. counterpoint

counterpoint New Member

I'm building a mail server loosely based on the Debian Squeeze perfect server "how to". The primary mail components are Postfix and Courier, and Postfix is using Courier for user/password authorizations. For more detail please see http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53595

The problem I have now is that the following things happen:

* I can relay mail using SSL/TLS from a mail client, supplying my email address and password

* I can send mail to user who are in the mailbox database provided the mail is relayed through a server that will not attempt an SSL connection to my mail server

* Sending mail to one user through a relay that does try to use SSL results in the mail being rejected as no such user. The same mail can be sent successfully via a non-SSL relay.

* Sending mail to another user through a relay that tries to use SSL results in the mail being accepted but not delivered. The same mail can be sent successfully via a non-SSL relay.

What can I do to diagnose the problems?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are there any errors in your mail log (in the /var/log/ directory)?

3. counterpoint

counterpoint New Member

Sorry, the question was posed wrongly - it was what I thought was the situation - but it wasn't correct. Which is why I was having such a struggle!

In fact the relaying server was configured to send the mail somewhere else, so there was no problem at all in my new mail server.

Sorry.